A Level Music Composition Help Watch

anastasia666
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I've just moved to the UK from Australia, and am currently studying A Level Music in Year 12.
I've done compositions before (e.g. on Sibelius) however the standards over here seem A LOT higher and I was wondering if you had any tips for making my pieces really shine and get that A*.
Even if you could just tell me a little about any composition you're doing now or from previous years, I'd really appreciate it. I love Music and I don't want to fall behind!
Thank you ♥
RebeccaB_x
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi! I’m only in year 12 and I’m going to watch the thread myself to see if anyone has any tips to get an A*, but I can tell you about my composition It’s a string quartet in sonata form, and I’ve used a lot of sequences and initiations between parts. It starts in G major, modulates to D major and is going to modulate to E minor before probably returning to the tonic. Hope this helps Which board are you doing? What composition are you doing? Which modules are you doing? Sorry to ask so many questions but it’s really hard to find people doing A Level Music, and the internet doesn’t have many resources for it! xx
anastasia666
Rep:
?
(Original post by RebeccaB_x)
Hi! I’m only in year 12 and I’m going to watch the thread myself to see if anyone has any tips to get an A*, but I can tell you about my composition It’s a string quartet in sonata form, and I’ve used a lot of sequences and initiations between parts. It starts in G major, modulates to D major and is going to modulate to E minor before probably returning to the tonic. Hope this helps Which board are you doing? What composition are you doing? Which modules are you doing? Sorry to ask so many questions but it’s really hard to find people doing A Level Music, and the internet doesn’t have many resources for it! xx
Thanks for the info, it's good to hear what another student is doing since there's only two other people in my class! It's an AQA A Level. I've only just begun brainstorming for ideas and I think I want to do an Electric Light Orchestra-type thing, incorporating strings with rock. It probably won't interest you, just because I've never studied classical music before and I'm a bass player so my knowledge is probably far below yours but here's a link to the song I'm drawing my inspiration from: https://youtu.be/eilorVapvV8 - mainly the intro and chorus. Or even a Coldplay 'Viva La Vida' type thing.
If it's crap please let me know so I don't go through with it and make a terrible mistake lol!
I've never done a composition like this since the Australian curriculum is so much less advanced that yours.
I'm ranting now but you're right, it's hard to find resources and other students.
Thank you, would love to hear your thoughts!
RebeccaB_x
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by anastasia666)
Thanks for the info, it's good to hear what another student is doing since there's only two other people in my class! It's an AQA A Level. I've only just begun brainstorming for ideas and I think I want to do an Electric Light Orchestra-type thing, incorporating strings with rock. It probably won't interest you, just because I've never studied classical music before and I'm a bass player so my knowledge is probably far below yours but here's a link to the song I'm drawing my inspiration from: https://youtu.be/eilorVapvV8 - mainly the intro and chorus. Or even a Coldplay 'Viva La Vida' type thing.
If it's crap please let me know so I don't go through with it and make a terrible mistake lol!
I've never done a composition like this since the Australian curriculum is so much less advanced that yours.
I'm ranting now but you're right, it's hard to find resources and other students.
Thank you, would love to hear your thoughts!
The song you gave me in the link sounds really cool! I’d never be able to write something like that but it would be super interesting - I love idea of combining classical instruments and the pop/rock genre.
(Also classical music is only a part of music and it doesn’t mean I know less than you! So many people who play classical instruments say it’s the ‘superior type of music’ but I don’t believe that at all. Music is meant to evoke emotion and it doesn’t matter if it’s Beethoven or heavy metal! Sorry I’m also ranting myself now 😐😄)
anastasia666
Rep:
?
(Original post by RebeccaB_x)
The song you gave me in the link sounds really cool! I’d never be able to write something like that but it would be super interesting - I love idea of combining classical instruments and the pop/rock genre.
(Also classical music is only a part of music and it doesn’t mean I know less than you! So many people who play classical instruments say it’s the ‘superior type of music’ but I don’t believe that at all. Music is meant to evoke emotion and it doesn’t matter if it’s Beethoven or heavy metal! Sorry I’m also ranting myself now 😐😄)
Thank you so much, I appreciate the support!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (96)
33.8%
No I don't (132)
46.48%
I work during the holidays (56)
19.72%

Watched Threads