Meowgi256
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I've applied to study Maths at Oxford and I made a big mistake in my personal statement... I attended a state school study day in which we had a lecture on graph theory. I wrote group theory in my PS... I went on to explain it correctly (as graph theory) but called it by the wrong name. Will this look like I wasn't paying attention or don't know what I'm talking about? Will it cost me an interview? Any help or advice would be appreciated. TIA
Hugh's Swan
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’m sure it will be down mostly to your entrance exam to be honest. If you did well in that you should be fine.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My impression is generally that the personal statement is pretty unimportant for Maths at Oxford (and Cambridge). Besides, there's probably a connection between the two somewhere anyway, group theory crops up everywhere...I imagine there must be some symmetry methods in graph theory

I seriously doubt it will "cost you" an interview, compared to e.g. poor performance in the MAT, or low grades (actual or predicted) in mathematics/mathematical subjects. RichE might be able to weigh in?
Meowgi256
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Hugh's Swan)
I’m sure it will be down mostly to your entrance exam to be honest. If you did well in that you should be fine.
(Original post by artful_lounger)
My impression is generally that the personal statement is pretty unimportant for Maths at Oxford (and Cambridge). Besides, there's probably a connection between the two somewhere anyway, group theory crops up everywhere...I imagine there must be some symmetry methods in graph theory

I seriously doubt it will "cost you" an interview, compared to e.g. poor performance in the MAT, or low grades (actual or predicted) in mathematics/mathematical subjects. RichE might be able to weigh in?
Thank you. I'm just nervous, it was such a stupid mistake. Oh well
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (93)
28.53%
No (233)
71.47%

Watched Threads