The Student Room Group

This discussion is no longer active so you won't be able to reply.Check out other Related discussions

Career shift at 40?

I'm a 40 year old , working full time as nurse, and a year ago I have enroled and completed the foundation year in Computing at evening University. Realised, syllabus might not be what I might want (as I might not be that much into web development) and I am considering transferring to Open University to get a degree in Networking and Communications ( 2 modules of syllabus are actually are ICDN1 and ICDN2 of CCNA routes+switches cert which was a nice surprise ) ... however untill I transfer I have started preparing for CompTIA A+ exam on my own with a Udemy course and couple of books ( simply because I cannot afford nor I think it's worth pf paying to some school £800-1000 on behalf of pdf's and slides - as I proved myself I can pass exams at Uni - I can do this too).
After that I am planning to continue towards Network+ ; Security+ or CCNA-Security I will see over time....

My question is , as I am really concerned - what would you do if you would be in my shoes, as I really have a great concern HOW TO put the foot in the door in IT ( I am thinking of probably applying for IT helpdesk or simillar , but not sure how will I handle all financially as helpdesk is not usually paid the best according to what I see on indeed and similar sites ...??
I have almost 20 years experience in customer service and dealing with people, however I allways preferred work behind the scene more .

What would be your suggestion and what would you do and where would you potentially try to explore your options and chances for potential work in the desired field??
This is my fourth year in London, and I have made accountancies and connections mostly in healthcare field , not much related to IT.... But I am open to opportunities and ideas, as we never know when some door might open.

Open for suggestions and advice....

Kind regards

ITNewBee78
Wouldn't bother, if you're not doing programming you don't need a degree.. get the CompTIA A+ done and ITIL Foundation and I guarantee you will get a 1st Line Support role at the bare minimum and then year after move to 2nd Line (in that year of getting experience you will want to be studying more certifications.

Total cost of obtaining these certs is around £500 (if that) and do not go with ANY learning provider simply use the approved Mike Meyers course on udemy (costs a tenner) or you can even use Proffessor Messer (Free) who is well respected in the industry. I'm going to do something I don't usually do and offer to help you out so if you want more help then feel free to PM me, maybe we can have a chat on kik or something.

Source of all my information: Been working in IT for 6 years with no degree.
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply I really appreciate your point of view... I am currently preparing for CompTIA A with Mike Meyers Udemy course plus the book, and Prof.Messer is planned once I am done with A and wanna move onto security bits...however, I do consider good basics about routes, switches, network and some cloud course/s as good foundation prior security as I prefer to be aware of the big picture and how things work, and being able to know where are my limits and where my expertise is ending and when to look for help or not :smile: .... So step by step and I hope I am gonna get there... keep your fingers crossed for me :smile:
Original post by ITNewBee78
Thanks for the reply I really appreciate your point of view... I am currently preparing for CompTIA A with Mike Meyers Udemy course plus the book, and Prof.Messer is planned once I am done with A and wanna move onto security bits...however, I do consider good basics about routes, switches, network and some cloud course/s as good foundation prior security as I prefer to be aware of the big picture and how things work, and being able to know where are my limits and where my expertise is ending and when to look for help or not :smile: .... So step by step and I hope I am gonna get there... keep your fingers crossed for me :smile:

Is there an IT department in your hospital? There's usually a small team working somewhere doing security, installations, and some 2st line support. Go and speak to them, initially just a friendly chat about careers etc, but see if there is a chance of a small role there, backfill something like that. See if you can build experience and slowly move your working days 5-0, to 4-1 etc.

The thing with starting in a hospital help desk is that you immediately speak the clients language and understand the client's priorities better than employing someone for a service desk without hospital experience. So you have a positive benefit to invest time on, from the Help Desk Managers perspective. It may not be where you want to be eventually, but a year doing that will get you on the path of change.
Reply 4
If you work at a hospital , school or university as long as you use the organisations linked In login, you'll have access to the courses, and the PearsonVue certifications. Good Luck on your new journey.

Female Engineer :35yrs in IT.