The Student Room Group

Which universities will accept AAE for Linguistics/Psychology?

I'm predicted 2 A's and an E and I'm not really sure where I can apply.

My grades are a bit odd since this year I've had to take a lot of time off for medical reasons and while it was easy to catch up with my essay subjects but maths was a little harder since it requires daily practice and attendance.

I plan to apply through clearing anyway but I would like to apply now as well just in case clearing doesn't work out and I have a backup place.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by san_cisco

My grades are a bit odd since this year I've had to take a lot of time off for medical reasons and while it was easy to catch up with my essay subjects but maths was a little harder since it requires daily practice and attendance.

I plan to apply through clearing anyway but I would like to apply now as well just in case clearing doesn't work out and I have a backup place.

Have you tried moving that E up a grade?
Reply 2
Original post by shiny112
Have you tried moving that E up a grade?

Not enough time. My school does predicted grades based on a termly exam. The next half term exam is in January and after the UCAS deadline. I have asked already if I can have an extra test but they argued that it wouldn't be fair on other the students.
U can do it
It's absolutely ridiculous that your school predicts you an E, especially given your medical circumstances. Look into filing for extenuating circumstances for that E grade when applying to Universities, they may be more lenient in giving you offers.
Reply 5
Original post by ben444
It's absolutely ridiculous that your school predicts you an E, especially given your medical circumstances. Look into filing for extenuating circumstances for that E grade when applying to Universities, they may be more lenient in giving you offers.

I would but I'm at a private school and I'm concerned they won't take me seriously.
Reply 6
Original post by UrWelcome
U can do it

Thank you haha😊

requiring A

Given your grades you are most likely to get offers from universities that work on UCAS points rather than grades. These tend to be lower ranking universities and perhaps look at 2 of these. You could also gamble on universities requiring ABB or BBB and possibly look at 2 of these.
You have absolutely no benefit for waiting for clearing. If your grades are better than your offers you could look at using adjustment. That allows you to keep your offer whilst applying elsewhere. Perhaps you could try What uni to search universities as you need to decide what part of the UK you wish to study, whether you want a campus based or city university and whether you want o be in a big city, small city or rural university
Reply 8
Original post by swanseajack1
Given your grades you are most likely to get offers from universities that work on UCAS points rather than grades. These tend to be lower ranking universities and perhaps look at 2 of these. You could also gamble on universities requiring ABB or BBB and possibly look at 2 of these.
You have absolutely no benefit for waiting for clearing. If your grades are better than your offers you could look at using adjustment. That allows you to keep your offer whilst applying elsewhere. Perhaps you could try What uni to search universities as you need to decide what part of the UK you wish to study, whether you want a campus based or city university and whether you want o be in a big city, small city or rural university

What's the difference between adjustment and clearing and when do you apply?
clearing you can only apply to if you are not holding any offers ie you have had 5 rejections or rejected ALL the offers you were made.
Adjustment is where you are holding a firm offer but get better results than expected. You keep your firm offer whilst are looking for a higher graded university. They are both done in Aug after results but some universities accept people with adjustment but not clearing so if had acceped say an AAE offer and you got AAC you could look to keep your AAE offer whilst trying to go to somewhat better. You have to exceed your offer to apply through adjustment. With clearing you have to reject all your offers so could technically not have a place at all.
https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/results/ucas-adjustment-if-youve-done-better-expected
https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/results-confirmation-and-clearing/what-clearing

You can also use ucas extra in Feb if you are not holding any offers. You apply to 1 university at a time.

https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/after-you-apply/types-offer/extra-choices

Just be aware that not every university and course will be available in extra, adjustment or clearing.

What's the difference between adjustment and clearing and when do you apply?
Doesn’t matter that you are at a private school - having to take a lot of time out is going to be difficult to recover from, however much tuition you get.I’m really interested to know how it worked out fit you as my son is in exactly the same situation. He wasn’t able to go to school fir two terms and whilst he’s done brilliantly to catch up in history, maths is proving much harder of course. We’ve got mitigating circumstances statements from both teachers and doctor but not sure how much these are actually taken into consideration. Which uni did you get into, and what grades didn’t you get in the end?

Latest

Trending

Trending