Ollie_16
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
‘Evaluate the view that general elections are stable and predictable’ this exam question is 30 marks and I need all the information I need to get the highest grade I can and my exam board is edexcel.
Ollie_16
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
bump lol made a new thread by mistake
milliewastestime
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Intro: define stable and predictable - how can these words be interpreted? I’m planning on which party is likely to win, when and how often General Elections will occur and possibly strength of parties?

Point 1: same 2 parties have dominated UK politics for like over 70 years so in this sense are stable.
Find an example of a semi-recent election wherein con/lab have won a strong majority. Something from Blair years maybe?

Counter point 1: recently becoming less predictable.
Example: con-lib coalition 2010 is an example of when one of the big two has no majority. 2017 was also a minority government with a supply deal off DUP that has been in effect abandoned.

Conclusion 1: evaluate both sides, which is more convincing?

Point 2: election terms are now fixed (mostly)
Example: 2011 fixed term parliament act now means it’s every 5 years or a majority has to agree to an election. Shows they’re more predictable in that public know when they’re coming

Counter 2: snap elections mess this system up.
May proposed an election many times before her resignation but labour among other parties blocked it. The UK will have had 3 elections in 4 years due to snap elections by Dec 2019 - hence is it less predictable than first thought?

Conclusion 2: evaluate and pick a side

Point 3: predictable in that we can guess how people will vote.
Example: the northern cities are labour heartlands, alongside London. This hasn’t changed for years - find a labour constituency and what % voted labour in 2017. Regional strongholds means it’s predictable.

Counter 3: Scotland voted different in 2017 than usual. Vote usually split SNP and labour. In 2017, con had more seats than lab ( 13 vs 7)- due to unionists being annoyed after SNP called for second independence referendum. Very unpredictable outcome.

Conclusion 3: evaluate and confirm which side

Overall conclusion: summarise points and reach an overall agreement to what side you’re on.

Hope this helps
milliewastestime
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The examples will need a little more detail than I’ve got, do some googling and you’ll be fine. The key to doing well is concluding throughout your essay and bringing *current* examples into it - most of my examples are 2016/2017 so it’s the newest I’ve got for GE rn (that’ll change in a few weeks ofc) but always try and find things going on right now and include 1 recent thing at least. The examiner needs to see that you’re aware of current affairs and how they link to your question
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (56)
17.34%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (91)
28.17%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (121)
37.46%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.62%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.41%

Watched Threads