The Student Room Group

Newcastle University or Leeds?

Hi so I’m sending off my ucas application this week and I can’t decide on a final option for my choices.
I’ve put down University of Liverpool, university of Manchester, Queens University Belfast and University of Stirling to study English Literature.

I think my fifth option will either be Newcastle university or University of Leeds.

Newcastle is asking for AAA-AAB for English Literature
Leeds is asking for AAB for English and Comparative Literature

I like both the courses but Leeds seems like a better city from what I’ve read online. I also like the comparative side to the degree but I only mention English Literature in my ps so that might look bad.
My problem is also that I’m not sure if I would receive an offer from either as my AS results were Sociology A English Lit B and Politics B.

How likely do you think it is that I would receive an offer if my AS grades are slightly low. I am obviously aiming to get them all up to As this year.

I’m also considering some lower ranked unis such as Leeds Beckett but I’m worried about the job opportunities I would have if I go to a less prestigious uni.

what do you guys think? Is it worth applying to Leeds/Newcastle?
I’m at uni in Leeds atm, it’s a lovely city but it is quite small in comparison to Manchester! So if you’re looking to move to a huge city Leeds isn’t the one.
I’m at Leeds currently in third year and I’ve hated it here since the first day I got here
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I’m at Leeds currently in third year and I’ve hated it here since the first day I got here

why did you hate it??
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I’m at uni in Leeds atm, it’s a lovely city but it is quite small in comparison to Manchester! So if you’re looking to move to a huge city Leeds isn’t the one.

wow I had no idea Manchester was bigger than Leeds. I’m from Belfast btw which is a pretty small and compact city so I’m pretty sure most cities in the north of England will seem big to me anyway. I’m visiting Liverpool in March and taking the train to Manchester for the day as well so I’ll get a feel for the cities up north when I go, just hoping I get offers. Do you enjoy Leeds? What do you think of the uni? :smile:)

Quick Reply

Latest