The Student Room Group

A level Chemistry- A shock to the system

I was a straight A* 8/9 student at gcse. Got a 9 in GCSE chemistry.

Go to quite a competitive school, so most around me are high-flyers.

I’ve not found the content difficult but I am underperforming on tests (C’s and D’s sometimes). Whereas in biology I get A*s. WHAT IS HAPPENING?

I know it’s early doors but it’s really frustrating 😅

most importantly what can I do to improve my test results?? I don’t wanna get used to these grades.

Thanks
Original post by Wirral21
I was a straight A* 8/9 student at gcse. Got a 9 in GCSE chemistry.

Go to quite a competitive school, so most around me are high-flyers.

I’ve not found the content difficult but I am underperforming on tests (C’s and D’s sometimes). Whereas in biology I get A*s. WHAT IS HAPPENING?

I know it’s early doors but it’s really frustrating 😅

most importantly what can I do to improve my test results?? I don’t wanna get used to these grades.

Thanks

I’m in year 13 and have opposite problem on a C in biology and A* in chemistry 😂😂
honestly I was the same, chemistry GCSE I did the best in and got an A*, but when it came to A levels I found it so much trickier and biology was the subject that I found came the most naturally to me. I started off with C’s in chemistry A level but I managed to get an A* in the end, honestly it just takes a lot of revision, making sure you do really thorough notes before each topic test and be sure that you understand something before moving on, because as you go along the course a lot of the early knowledge gets built on
Sorry meant I was on a C in year 12, I’m now on A/A* in biology. if it’s particular topics you struggle with, focus on these and make sure you really do understand the content. Most important is PRACTICE QUESTIONS because you can know the content through and through but if you don’t quite know how to make your answer match the mark scheme then you won’t get the marks x
If you don’t understand something, speak to your teacher and hopefully they’d be happy to help, honestly it gets better because a lot of people I knew were the same and still got really good grades on results day, it just takes time and practice
Reply 5
Original post by Torigracex
I’m in year 13 and have opposite problem on a C in biology and A* in chemistry 😂😂

Exact same as you. I’m getting A* in both but I struggle much more with biology. Those questions are sent from hell I’m telling you.
Original post by Elzon
Exact same as you. I’m getting A* in both but I struggle much more with biology. Those questions are sent from hell I’m telling you.

Literally the mark schemes ARE SO HARD??? It’s the only subject I know where you can write 100% accurate and detailed answers yet just narrowly miss all the marks it’s so frustrating
Reply 7
Literally the mark schemes ARE SO HARD??? It’s the only subject I know where you can write 100% accurate and detailed answers yet just narrowly miss all the marks it’s so frustrating

The amount of times I see a question, write tons for it and get 0 marks because I miss the basics. It’s frustrating but oh well, we do have 6 months and some change until A level exam season so hopefully that’ll be enough to get used to these mark-schemes written by Satan.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Elzon
The amount of times I see a question, write tons for it and get 0 marks because I miss the basics. It’s frustrating but oh well, we do have 6 months and some change until A level exam season so hopefully that’ll be enough to get used to these mark-schemes written by Satan.

My grade fluctuates from top of my year to Cs and Ds literally just due to how ambiguous the mark scheme is each time!
i got a test on hydrocarbons on Wednesday wish me luck
Reply 10
My grade fluctuates from top of my year to Cs and Ds literally just due to how ambiguous the mark scheme is each time!

Which exam board do you do?
Original post by Elzon
Which exam board do you do?

AQA hbu x
Reply 12
AQA hbu x

Good ol OCR.
Original post by Elzon
Good ol OCR.

omg im doing ocr as wellllll are u in y12?
Reply 14
Original post by sqrt of 5
omg im doing ocr as wellllll are u in y12?

Nope I’m in 13
Original post by Elzon
Nope I’m in 13

T_T good luck with your examss
Reply 16
Original post by emilya18
honestly I was the same, chemistry GCSE I did the best in and got an A*, but when it came to A levels I found it so much trickier and biology was the subject that I found came the most naturally to me. I started off with C’s in chemistry A level but I managed to get an A* in the end, honestly it just takes a lot of revision, making sure you do really thorough notes before each topic test and be sure that you understand something before moving on, because as you go along the course a lot of the early knowledge gets built on

Thanks, hopefully I can go for an a* too!
Reply 17
Original post by sqrt of 5
T_T good luck with your examss

Thank you. You too :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest