The Student Room Group

Dissertation Research Topic

Hi there!

I am currently in the process of writing my research proposal for my undergraduate dissertation in the field of business.

My research question is: "what are the factors affecting women retention within the IT industry in the UK?"

My research will be exploratory. My only concern is that research has already been conducted on the factors affecting women retention within the IT industry, but it is not recent (latest is around 2012) and as of 2019, retention is still a persistent problem that hasn't been solved through the introduction of initiatives and research into the field, and women turnover is actually increasing.

Is doing an updated exploration on the specific area a good enough justification for doing it? Does it matter if the research has been carried out before? (Similar research, not 100% the same).

Thank you to anyone who can help! :smile:
Reply 1
For some reason this was added to the postgraduate applications sections and I'm unable to move the discussion.
Original post by katyafraisy
Hi there!

I am currently in the process of writing my research proposal for my undergraduate dissertation in the field of business.

My research question is: "what are the factors affecting women retention within the IT industry in the UK?"

My research will be exploratory. My only concern is that research has already been conducted on the factors affecting women retention within the IT industry, but it is not recent (latest is around 2012) and as of 2019, retention is still a persistent problem that hasn't been solved through the introduction of initiatives and research into the field, and women turnover is actually increasing.

Is doing an updated exploration on the specific area a good enough justification for doing it? Does it matter if the research has been carried out before? (Similar research, not 100% the same).

Thank you to anyone who can help! :smile:

Why are you going to add/explore to make it new and original? Updating a review that 7 years old is a bit redundant if you aren't approaching it from a new angle - particularly if the problem stills persists (meaning that the original review may not explain the topic fully).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending