Sad student
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I do not know the structure of English Literature coursework and what to add there to get an A or A+.
Oscarisapenguin2
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Sad student)
I do not know the structure of English Literature coursework and what to add there to get an A or A+.
Oh my goodness I’m doing the Lit coursework and it sucks!!
I’m also aiming for A/A* for coursework and oh my is it hell so please be reassured that you’re not alone.

What exam board are you doing?

A way I try to structure my essays is to not structure it at all, which sounds kinda oxymoronic. HOWEVER, the reason for this is because if you get bogged down by a structure you can lose clarity in your argument.
Despite this, I would suggest having more of a fluid checklist that you kind of want to aim to have checked off at least the majority of them per paragraph.

I go for something like:
Topic sentence (always first and last thing in each paragraph)
Analysis, evidence, explanation, context (for some paras but only when relevant. Don’t force it), REFERENCE!!, evaluate according to question.

These aren’t really in any particular order except topic sentence, which should always come first.

Referencing is SOOOO important! I suggest foot notes and a bibliography - but do the footnotes whilst you’re writing whereas the bibliography is just a compilation of your footnotes in whatever way your teacher prefers.

My absolute main suggestion, and this is the only piece of advice that I’m 100000% confident on as of yet, is to JUST START WRITING!. Ofc plan, perhaps more extensively than normal, but as soon as you’ve planned don’t worry about word count, word choice, anything. Literally just spew all of your ideas down into some form of an essay.

If your teacher allows, go through that with them afterwards, If not id then work on rearranging stuff and cutting stuff you don’t like.
There’s no use in being intimidated by the blank screen, as I was for 30 minutes 2 nights ago 😂😂

Good luck!
Sad student
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by Oscarisapenguin2)
Oh my goodness I’m doing the Lit coursework and it sucks!!
I’m also aiming for A/A* for coursework and oh my is it hell so please be reassured that you’re not alone.

What exam board are you doing?

A way I try to structure my essays is to not structure it at all, which sounds kinda oxymoronic. HOWEVER, the reason for this is because if you get bogged down by a structure you can lose clarity in your argument.
Despite this, I would suggest having more of a fluid checklist that you kind of want to aim to have checked off at least the majority of them per paragraph.

I go for something like:
Topic sentence (always first and last thing in each paragraph)
Analysis, evidence, explanation, context (for some paras but only when relevant. Don’t force it), REFERENCE!!, evaluate according to question.

These aren’t really in any particular order except topic sentence, which should always come first.

Referencing is SOOOO important! I suggest foot notes and a bibliography - but do the footnotes whilst you’re writing whereas the bibliography is just a compilation of your footnotes in whatever way your teacher prefers.

My absolute main suggestion, and this is the only piece of advice that I’m 100000% confident on as of yet, is to JUST START WRITING!. Ofc plan, perhaps more extensively than normal, but as soon as you’ve planned don’t worry about word count, word choice, anything. Literally just spew all of your ideas down into some form of an essay.

If your teacher allows, go through that with them afterwards, If not id then work on rearranging stuff and cutting stuff you don’t like.
There’s no use in being intimidated by the blank screen, as I was for 30 minutes 2 nights ago 😂😂

Good luck!
Thank you, Im doing edexcel. Im in really difficult situation. My teacher told us to start on November and finish it on April. Now it is changed to december end. So we had time from November till December to do the coursework. It is unfair on us.. I dont know what to add there also... Context, critics, explain, effects etc.. But what kind of methods we need to include? I just want to cry...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • University of Bradford
    Postgraduate Open day/Evening Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • Queen's University Belfast
    Postgraduate LIVE Masters & PhD Study Fair Postgraduate
    Wed, 4 Mar '20

Do you get study leave?