ellie phillips
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I want to study medicine at uni so I am going to do Biology and Chemistry for A level but I still need a third subject to do, I think Criminology looks really interesting but does anyone know what sort of things it involves? And if it is actually interesting? What sort of questions re included in the exams etc.?

However studying maths would higher my chances of studying medicine but I don't really enjoy it and my predicted grade is a 6 and I need at least a 7 to do it at A level.

Any advice?
Gent2324
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Don’t do criminology, it’s not a proper a level and you will be mocked for a long time if you do it. It doesn’t look good at interviews
ellie phillips
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Gent2324)
Don’t do criminology, it’s not a proper a level and you will be mocked for a long time if you do it. It doesn’t look good at interviews
Okay thank you. Do you know why it is mocked?
Gent2324
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ellie phillips)
Okay thank you. Do you know why it is mocked?
because its easy and its not a proper a level. its a diploma or something
username4347578
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Gent2324)
because its easy and its not a proper a level. its a diploma or something
You sure? It’s a new alevel for 2020 so there’s practically no knowing of what the questions are like and if the unis are going to mock them. One thing I’ll advise to the OP is that it is best not to take it because it’s a new subject so teachers are not that aware of how to answer questions and how deep your knowledge would be. How about psychology?
lectergraham
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I do level 3 wjec criminology and i will say that it is pretty easy and straightforward. There are 4 exams, each worth 25% of the grade and you set two each year. Two of the four are open folder exams and you can have all your notes with you, and the other 2 are more like normal exams.
Because it is a level 3 diploma rather than an alevel, it will mean you won't be able to go to some prestigious universities but many do accept btec diplomas now. For example the University of Southampton is a Russel group uni who will accept the course.
I took it because I have a strong interest in the subject and because it is modular like the old a levels so I will have less stress at the end of y13.
Oh it's graded A to E like a levels and an A* if you get an A in all exams
You study 4 topics:
Types of crime (within this you get to design a campaign based on a brief which means you get to use the Internet in the exam to design posters and merch)
Crimine theories
Crime scene to court room
And a 4th I can't remember lmao

Anyway I wouldn't disregard it completely unless you want to go to a top university like Oxford or Cambridge. I really enjoy it but the first unit is pretty boring lol
jessblackburn
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you want to do medicine, its best if you have a 7 in Maths GCSE. For your third a-level, psychology would be best as it has scientific aspects so will link to your degree. If not, I know 25% of the sociology A level is criminology. However, this would damage your chances to get into med school.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (64)
21.84%
Excited but a bit nervous (132)
45.05%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.29%
I'm really nervous (61)
20.82%

Watched Threads