Report 1 year ago
I don’t know if it’s legal
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Mollyp.21)
Me and my teacher are like friends and student/teacher. Is it okay to follow him on insta or nah?
Your teacher's instagram should be set to private. He shouldn't accept a follow request from you.

It's not illegal as such, but would be seen as a breach of the professional standards teachers are supposed to hold themselves to, and likely your school's social media policy. It might sound petty to you, but this could cause him to lose his job, or even not be allowed to teach anywhere- the rules for teachers are pretty strict.
marsx
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
What if you’ve already graduated or left?
ThursdaysChild22
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by marsx)
What if you’ve already graduated or left?
The policy at my school (which has a sixth form) is that we are not allowed to make contact with students via social media until 5 years after they have left the school. This means they are 23 by the time we can add them (not that we would generally want to!) Our students are lovely and often do reach out to keep in touch and let us know how they’re doing, but they do so via school email and not through social media.

It’s really concerning that you describe your teacher as being like a friend. He is not your friend. Either you are misinterpreting the relationship or he is failing to maintain clear professional boundaries. The former can be forgiven, the latter is extremely dangerous.
Last edited by ThursdaysChild22; 2 weeks ago
EierVonSatan
Badges: 21
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ThursdaysChild22)
The policy at my school (which has a sixth form) is that we are not allowed to make contact with students via social media until 5 years after they have left the school.
What do you believe the rationale for this policy is?
Last edited by EierVonSatan; 2 weeks ago
ThursdaysChild22
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by EierVonSatan)
What do you believe the rationale for this policy is?
Not a clue, and not sure how it can be enforced either. Never saw anyone challenge it, probably because noone wants to look like the creep who is desperate to add kids to their social media.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (307)
57.82%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (74)
13.94%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (59)
11.11%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (45)
8.47%
I haven't started researching yet (26)
4.9%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
3.77%

Watched Threads