Why is car insurance so expensive for a young driver? (5.5k without blackbox!) Watch

Warabihime
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
So, hello, probably a title you have seen a few times, but I just don't know what to do.
I got my driving licence in May this year, I'm 18 years old.
So, just out of curiosity, I wanted to check how much I would pay for insurance on 2 cars specifically, Peugeot 206 1.1, and Golf 4 1.4, different years and mileages, but I can't believe it's so high. Since I want the cheapest, I won't talk about the golf as it is higher than the Peugeot.
So, with blackbox (which I don't want as it will take fun away from driving), the cheapest I could find anywhere was around 1.5k, but, as I tried to find without blackbox, ridiculous prices of around 5.5k started popping up, going up to 20k!! Like WTF?
Tried both the address I'm living at now (because I'm at uni), and my parents' house, but the prices changed by max 100 pounds.
So, another important information I should state is that my parents insured me in Poland, my home country, on a very old Golf 2, for around 30 pounds for A WHOLE YEAR!!!!, so on the end of August I will have 1 Year NCB.
Truth is I'm not getting the car yet, as I said, it was out of curiosity, but when I tried entering that I have the driving licence for 1 year (Also having the 1 NCB year), my insurance changed only slightly.
So, the question is, is this going to be the offered price when I'm going to buy a car starting September next year? I tried compare the market, confused.com and moneysupermarket but they all the same, prices are way too high.
What about you guys, having same problem? Or you somehow managed to get a good quote? I really enjoyed driving the golf 2 in Poland (as you don't need to be insured to drive a car, which is a GOD BLESS BEST THING), and driving my mum's Peugeot 308, as well as the VW Polo on my driving lessons. After passing the exam I can't drive anything, and I really want to, so, any tips?
Sorry for the essay, really frustrated
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Warabihime)
So, hello, probably a title you have seen a few times, but I just don't know what to do.
I got my driving licence in May this year, I'm 18 years old.
So, just out of curiosity, I wanted to check how much I would pay for insurance on 2 cars specifically, Peugeot 206 1.1, and Golf 4 1.4, different years and mileages, but I can't believe it's so high. Since I want the cheapest, I won't talk about the golf as it is higher than the Peugeot.
So, with blackbox (which I don't want as it will take fun away from driving), the cheapest I could find anywhere was around 1.5k, but, as I tried to find without blackbox, ridiculous prices of around 5.5k started popping up, going up to 20k!! Like WTF?
Tried both the address I'm living at now (because I'm at uni), and my parents' house, but the prices changed by max 100 pounds.
So, another important information I should state is that my parents insured me in Poland, my home country, on a very old Golf 2, for around 30 pounds for A WHOLE YEAR!!!!, so on the end of August I will have 1 Year NCB.
Truth is I'm not getting the car yet, as I said, it was out of curiosity, but when I tried entering that I have the driving licence for 1 year (Also having the 1 NCB year), my insurance changed only slightly.
So, the question is, is this going to be the offered price when I'm going to buy a car starting September next year? I tried compare the market, confused.com and moneysupermarket but they all the same, prices are way too high.
What about you guys, having same problem? Or you somehow managed to get a good quote? I really enjoyed driving the golf 2 in Poland (as you don't need to be insured to drive a car, which is a GOD BLESS BEST THING), and driving my mum's Peugeot 308, as well as the VW Polo on my driving lessons. After passing the exam I can't drive anything, and I really want to, so, any tips?
Sorry for the essay, really frustrated
Find a car that you can afford to insure, simples.
Lshort17
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I have recently passed too, i have a Citroen c1 and those prices are nearly double what i pay, its the cars you are looking at and the engine capacity, if you want cheap, dont go for the best to start with
lia_r18
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It's all about the car that you chose... my 1.2 ford KA cost me £1600 in my first year at the age of 17 with no black box 🙂
ThuggerThugger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The UK driving industry is an absolute scam thats why... its a massive scam from start to finish. You’ve been scammed right from the moment you get your provisional licence.
Last edited by ThuggerThugger; 3 weeks ago
CTLeafez
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
So, with blackbox (which I don't want as it will take fun away from driving)
I’m sorry, what? 😂

The novelty of driving will be decrease much sooner than your insurance premiums. Just get a black box and get cheaper insurance.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Mustafa0605)
Try getting insured as a second driver. Put the main driver as your parent with the best driving background
Aaaand that's fronting, which is illegal.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by JoeyBuck)
First time insurance sucks. As mentioned above become a named driver, ask your parents to go as the main driver and you as second, although you won’t build a no claims you will build experience in the insurers eyes. My first car would of been around £4000 no black box, it was only a 1.2l car, but with my mam as the main driver it was £2000 no black box, still expensive but cheaper.
But yeh the UK is notorious for insurance costs, especially for young males, because we have a tendency to drive like morons
Do not advocate insurance fraud.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ThuggerThugger)
The UK driving industry is an absolute scam thats why... its a massive scam from start to finish. You’ve been scammed right from the moment you get your provisional licence.
If a young driver crashes into a Ferrari and kills three children, that costs a pretty penny. Hence, increased premiums. It's not rocket science.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Which is why the driving standards there are ****ing awful and most roads are death traps.

If you're not prepared to take the responsibility on that comes with driving - that's what the insurance is - then you don't get to do it. It's the cost of being part of society.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Insurance fraud? Yeh it isn’t insurance fraud. As long as you pay for both drivers to drive, there is absolutely no reason why a parent can not be put as the main driver, as the OP as second driver. Many people do it, it’s not fraud
It literally is the definition of fraud.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
So, with blackbox (which I don't want as it will take fun away from driving),
You mean that you want to drive illegally and/or irresponsibly and/or unsafely?

And you wonder why insurers want a lot of money to carry your risk?
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ThuggerThugger)
You sound like something out of the Daily Mail. What a silly comment.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
Or don't want the risk full stop.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
If his parents use the car, no, no it isn’t. It’s not difficult to allow your parents to drive the car regularly, for the sake of saving thousands of £s
They have to be the main drivers. The primary users of the car. In 99.9% of cases, that's never the case. That's fronting. That's illegal.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It’s got nothing to do with that, your just over exaggerating.
It's got everything to do with that. Young drivers are not only more likely to have accidents, they're more likely to have costly accidents.

It's simple statistics.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
If his parents use the car, no, no it isn’t. It’s not difficult to allow your parents to drive the car regularly, for the sake of saving thousands of £s
Yes it is. To be the main driver, you must drive the vehicle the majority of the time. This will not be the case, therefore fronting.
It’s got nothing to do with that, your just over exaggerating. The only reason premiums are so high, is to line the insurers pocket. There are literally so many stipulations in the small print, same with phone insurance, they tell you your insured if you lose your phone, but once you lose it they tell you not if it’s lost in a public place
That's absolute nonsense. Of course they make a profit, because they're a business after all, but they do not scam you.

Get a better phone insurer if that is the case.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Original post by Drewski)They have to be the main drivers. The primary users of the car. In 99.9% of cases, that's never the case. That's fronting. That's illegal.

And how exactly would he get caught? Most people I know have done it, the insurers can not prove who’s driving the car, at an exact time. It’s simply a scare tactic to make them more money
Your posts have been reported for advocating illegal activity, which is against TSR rules. Please refrain from continuing.

People have and do get caught for fronting.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
You mean that you want to drive illegally and/or irresponsibly and/or unsafely?

I dunno, I can see more than one side there. There's no crime in enjoying driving, although there is certainly one in driving dangerously.
With a BB I'd be thinking more of being hassled for early morning drives, late night drives, busy drives, quiet drives, not killing people ect. Knowing i might lose my insurance because of my working hours, or because some twat stepped into the road would surely take the fun out of it just as much as archaic 'no streetracing!' rules.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Please show some stats showcasing the number of young driver crashing into Ferrari’s and killing 2 children
Well done, your reading comprehension is below that of a 12 year old.

That's not what I said, and stats backing up my comments are available freely all over the internet. If you're in doubt - and you're the only person who is, oddly enough - you can go and look them up.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you voted in today's general election?

Yes (179)
48.91%
No (44)
12.02%
I'm not old enough (143)
39.07%

Watched Threads