The Student Room Group

Why is car insurance so expensive for a young driver? (5.5k without blackbox!)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JoeyBuck

And how exactly would he get caught? Most people I know have done it, the insurers can not prove who’s driving the car, at an exact time. It’s simply a scare tactic to make them more money

Insurers don't NEED to prove it, reasonable suspicion the policy is fronted is enough.
Original post by StriderHort
I dunno, I can see more than one side there. There's no crime in enjoying driving, although there is certainly one in driving dangerously.
With a BB I'd be thinking more of being hassled for early morning drives, late night drives, busy drives, quiet drives, not killing people ect. Knowing i might lose my insurance because of my working hours, or because some twat stepped into the road would surely take the fun out of it just as much as archaic 'no streetracing!' rules.

You, I and the insurance companies know that the drivers who avoid black boxes are the riskiest drivers.

Alloy wheels are not less safe and the theft cost difference is minimal. Insurance companies price the character of purchasers.
Why are you so upset at people advocating fraud?
Without criminals there’d be no police, less solicitors, no prison staff, that’s a lot of people out of a job.
Is that what you want ?

I'm sorry... did I actually just read that 🤦
Original post by nulli tertius
You, I and the insurance companies know that the drivers who avoid black boxes are the riskiest drivers.

Alloy wheels are not less safe and the theft cost difference is minimal. Insurance companies price the character of purchasers.

I've never had a black box on my car... never had a crash, never caused anyone else to crash, never made a claim... not all drivers who chose to not have a black box are risky - some of us can't have a black box becuase we drive too many miles and will get penalised (most black boxes have a limit that you can't go over unless you pay for more miles) and work until stupid o'clock and will get penalised for that too.

Most of my friends that had a black box have been penalised in one way or another and had to pay more or a similar amount for their second year of insurance... me in the other hand - I had mine reduced from £1600 to £530 🤷🏼*♀️.
Original post by nulli tertius

It honestly might be the hour/lack of coffee, but I don't understand this reply, at all, i'm only 20-22% convinced it's related to what I said :P

I've never had a BB policy and don't want one, I don't like being monitored in general and as said, for me it would be the early/busy morning and emergency stops that would screw me.
Don't feed the troll
Reply 26
“I work alongside”
You work for them, you don’t own an insurance company or run one. I bet you think the police are all great people and Santa Claus is real?

I don't work for them...
Thread closed for a clean-up.
Thread re-opened.

Fronting is insurance fraud. If caught, which the chances are probably very high if you have a crash, you’ll struggle to find any form of insurance in the future.

Let’s keep the posts relevant to the OP and not condone any illegal practices.

>RS.
Reply 29
Original post by Lshort17
I have recently passed too, i have a Citroen c1 and those prices are nearly double what i pay, its the cars you are looking at and the engine capacity, if you want cheap, dont go for the best to start with

I mean, peugeot 206 is one of the cheepest to insure, and engine size 1.1 with 60 bhp is really small, my dad tried c1, some old polos and all he could get without black box was 4.5k, he could not get below that no matter what car, year, engine size
Original post by Warabihime
I mean, peugeot 206 is one of the cheepest to insure, and engine size 1.1 with 60 bhp is really small, my dad tried c1, some old polos and all he could get without black box was 4.5k, he could not get below that no matter what car, year, engine size

It's also related to where you live. So if you're in a not so great post code, it'll make no difference what car you have.
Reply 31
Original post by CTLeafez
I’m sorry, what? 😂

The novelty of driving will be decrease much sooner than your insurance premiums. Just get a black box and get cheaper insurance.

I heard from a pretty old guy, at my workplace, that his friend had blackbox, and he exceeded his yearly mileage, and he got to pay 300% more, no idea if that's the case with every company, but every time I ask someone if blackbox is okay, they say no, don't get it at all costs
Reply 32
Original post by StriderHort
I dunno, I can see more than one side there. There's no crime in enjoying driving, although there is certainly one in driving dangerously.
With a BB I'd be thinking more of being hassled for early morning drives, late night drives, busy drives, quiet drives, not killing people ect. Knowing i might lose my insurance because of my working hours, or because some twat stepped into the road would surely take the fun out of it just as much as archaic 'no streetracing!' rules.

That's it, spot on, harsh breaking will increase insurance, so if someone jumps on the road I should just run them over? Strict hours is something annoying as well, want to go somewhere with friends pretty late? Nope you can't, stay home
Reply 33
I'm 18, turning 19 in April, and I'm getting a car in September, I think I'm old enough to have a first car?
Reply 34
Original post by lia_r18
I've never had a black box on my car... never had a crash, never caused anyone else to crash, never made a claim... not all drivers who chose to not have a black box are risky - some of us can't have a black box becuase we drive too many miles and will get penalised (most black boxes have a limit that you can't go over unless you pay for more miles) and work until stupid o'clock and will get penalised for that too.

Most of my friends that had a black box have been penalised in one way or another and had to pay more or a similar amount for their second year of insurance... me in the other hand - I had mine reduced from £1600 to £530 🤷🏼*♀️.

Exactly, at my dad's job place, we needed to leave at 4am, which is outside the driving hours, so if I wanted to go overhours or change my shift, I wouldn't be able to come at all, sometimes the overhours go from 6pm to 12am, wouldn't be able to come as well, and I really enjoyed driving when I could, whenever there was a possibilty, I would beg my parents, they were getting sick of it lol, so the mileage would be a problem for me as well
Reply 35
Original post by Drewski
It's also related to where you live. So if you're in a not so great post code, it'll make no difference what car you have.

I tried 2, near Manchester, in Salford where I currently live (because of uni), and in Blackburn, where my actual living address is, am I really that unlucky to have 2 cities or towns that have such high insurance?
Reply 36
So, hello, probably a title you have seen a few times, but I just don't know what to do.
I got my driving licence in May this year, I'm 18 years old.
So, just out of curiosity, I wanted to check how much I would pay for insurance on 2 cars specifically, Peugeot 206 1.1, and Golf 4 1.4, different years and mileages, but I can't believe it's so high. Since I want the cheapest, I won't talk about the golf as it is higher than the Peugeot.
So, with blackbox (which I don't want as it will take fun away from driving), the cheapest I could find anywhere was around 1.5k, but, as I tried to find without blackbox, ridiculous prices of around 5.5k started popping up, going up to 20k!! Like WTF?
Tried both the address I'm living at now (because I'm at uni), and my parents' house, but the prices changed by max 100 pounds.
So, another important information I should state is that my parents insured me in Poland, my home country, on a very old Golf 2, for around 30 pounds for A WHOLE YEAR!!!!, so on the end of August I will have 1 Year NCB.
Truth is I'm not getting the car yet, as I said, it was out of curiosity, but when I tried entering that I have the driving licence for 1 year (Also having the 1 NCB year), my insurance changed only slightly.
So, the question is, is this going to be the offered price when I'm going to buy a car starting September next year? I tried compare the market, confused.com and moneysupermarket but they all the same, prices are way too high.
What about you guys, having same problem? Or you somehow managed to get a good quote? I really enjoyed driving the golf 2 in Poland (as you don't need to be insured to drive a car, which is a GOD BLESS BEST THING), and driving my mum's Peugeot 308, as well as the VW Polo on my driving lessons. After passing the exam I can't drive anything, and I really want to, so, any tips?
Sorry for the essay, really frustrated

Also, for someone who said about being second driver and got his comment deleted, my dad did that just to see how the price would change, he is 40 years old with 11 years NCB, currently owning 2 cars, no criminal action, cancelled insurances etc. and the insurance dropped only by max 300 pounds
So, hello, probably a title you have seen a few times, but I just don't know what to do.
I got my driving licence in May this year, I'm 18 years old.
So, just out of curiosity, I wanted to check how much I would pay for insurance on 2 cars specifically, Peugeot 206 1.1, and Golf 4 1.4, different years and mileages, but I can't believe it's so high. Since I want the cheapest, I won't talk about the golf as it is higher than the Peugeot.

Look at other cars in lower insurance groups and put a parent as a named driver [NOT main driver - that's illegal].
I tried 2, near Manchester, in Salford where I currently live (because of uni), and in Blackburn, where my actual living address is, am I really that unlucky to have 2 cities or towns that have such high insurance?

Yeah, they're both pretty poor.

I was at uni in Salford and still live in Manchester, so I know the pain.
Also, for someone who said about being second driver and got his comment deleted, my dad did that just to see how the price would change, he is 40 years old with 11 years NCB, currently owning 2 cars, no criminal action, cancelled insurances etc. and the insurance dropped only by max 300 pounds

Look at other cars - my son insured his first car [brand new] for around £800.

Quick Reply

Latest