How Do Singapore A'Level Grades Translate Into UK Grades

Watch
OwOBruvUwU
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi all,

I'm hoping to study Law in the Uk, but my grades aren't exactly stellar.

I took the Singapore A'Levels which does not have an A* grade and got basically ABBB.

Will UK unis straight up reject me because of these grades or also look at my LNAT results before deciding?
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by OwOBruvUwU)
Hi all,

I took the Singapore A'Levels which does not have an A* grade and got basically ABBB.

Will UK unis straight up reject me because of these grades or also look at my LNAT results before deciding?
I don't know anything about Singapore A levels but some good UK unis would definitely make you offers with ABBB only probably not the most competitive ones like LSE/UCL/Kings.

Where are you thinking about applying?
OwOBruvUwU
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
I don't know anything about Singapore A levels but some good UK unis would definitely make you offers with ABBB only probably not the most competitive ones like LSE/UCL/Kings.

Where are you thinking about applying?
I know i'll look like a complete clown but i'm hoping to get into Kings. My 5 choices are UCL/LSE/KCL/Durrham/Warwick.

At this point i'm just hoping that my LNAT results are good enough to carry me a little and that somehow admissions regard SG A'Levels grades a little higher than UK equivalents.
my_man_123
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I know i'll look like a complete clown but i'm hoping to get into Kings. My 5 choices are UCL/LSE/KCL/Durrham/Warwick.

At this point i'm just hoping that my LNAT results are good enough to carry me a little and that somehow admissions regard SG A'Levels grades a little higher than UK equivalents.
I would suggest doing your research thoroughly and asking admissions teams at Universities before applying as those grades may not be adequate for the universities that you have chosen as those are some of the best unis for law in the UK. I will tag three prospective lawyers from Singapore who may be able to help. Are you also doing forced conscription like these three are?
smokedarrow Neros lawhopeful789
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Singapore H2's would be seen as roughly equivalent to UK AL's so you would be looking at places with typical offers of ABB. As these are achieved grades Uni's are less likely to be flexible, although they will take the LNAT into account if it's part of their assessment.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

If your grades are equivalent to ABBB (or A*BBB) as you suggest, you could be in trouble - but it depends if that is right or if UK unis would consider them higher than that, as J Papi suggests.

You could have emailed their Admissions for advice before applying but as you have already applied you will just have to wait and see how they respond. Let us know how you get on because even if you do get rejected you will have other options in UCAS Extra but hopefully it won't come to that
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's really up to each Uni to determine their own equivalencies. At mine for example, H2's of AAA would equate to A*AA/AAA and ABB would be a straight ABB. But we wouldn't look at the fourth subject or consider tariff points.
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes, I'm in admissions but I don't state where I'm based as I don't post in an official capacity.

As above, it's up to each Uni how they interpret these results but if the applications are sent, there's nothing more to do at the moment.
OwOBruvUwU
Rep:
?
(Original post by Admit-One)
It's really up to each Uni to determine their own equivalencies. At mine for example, H2's of AAA would equate to A*AA/AAA and ABB would be a straight ABB. But we wouldn't look at the fourth subject or consider tariff points.
Yikes so even achieving the highest possible grades in singapore you'd still be considered lower than a native uk student who achieves the highest grades?

I applied under the slim hope that my grades would be considered 1 grade higher like another poster mentioned above.

I'm still finalizing my ucas personal statement before I send it in.

Thanks to everyone who replied! Will update if I get any offers so that future aspiring uk applicants in the situation will know if they stand a chance.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yikes so even achieving the highest possible grades in singapore you'd still be considered lower than a native uk student who achieves the highest grades?

I applied under the slim hope that my grades would be considered 1 grade higher like another poster mentioned above.

I'm still finalizing my ucas personal statement before I send it in.

Thanks to everyone who replied! Will update if I get any offers so that future aspiring uk applicants in the situation will know if they stand a chance.
So if you haven't submitted your UCAS form yet, why don't you email the uni Admissions first and ask them directly how they would interpret your grades? It's not too late to put at least one safer choice in if they say they would view your grades as lower than A*AA
OwOBruvUwU
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
So if you haven't submitted your UCAS form yet, why don't you email the uni Admissions first and ask them directly how they would interpret your grades? It's not too late to put at least one safer choice in if they say they would view your grades as lower than A*AA
Honestly if I don't get into the schools on my list then I may as well settle for a local university which is cheaper and more renowned than mid tier UK unis.

This whole venture was my shot in the dark because I really want to study law and the UK is the place to go for that.

Since i've already done the lnat and have almost finished my personal statement, I may as well just send it in.

The problem with local universities is that I am literally 1 grade short from qualifying to law school. Which is tragic because I can get into anything that's not law, medicine or dentistry...
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
Hi all,

You need to check the entrance requirements. There seems to be a small uplift of one grade overall (not per subject) according to Kings.
On that basis and considering the calibre of UK unis then I think you are going to find it tough. Unis decide what their own conversion of Singapore or any other country's qualifications are. Think you are wasting your time with LSE.
smokedarrow
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Not sure about what is the conversion but I'd suppose that the universities would take into account that you have acquired the best possible grade for the exam... Logically that would place an SG A grade not too far off from a UK A*. Might not be the case where SG A = UK A*, but doubt it is the case that it would be SG A = UK A*, so somewhere in between, I suppose.

From your grades, I'd guess it could be anywhere between A*AA - ABB but I wouldn't say with much certainty because I'm applying for the first time myself.

Just try.. you'd never know haha
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
LSE’s Singapore / AL equivalents are published in the following page (‘undergrad entry requirements’):

http://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/in...ages/singapore

“H2 subjects are equivalent to A levels (excluding Knowledge and Inquiry (KI)”

The exception to this is Maths where they’ll accept A at H2 to meet A* requirements.
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
And here’s Durham’s:

https://www.dur.ac.uk/international/...y.information/

UCL’s prospectus has a conversion tool but it’s down at the mo, they have the minimum equivalent here though:

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-st...onal/singapore

Here’s KCL’s:

https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergra...nternational#S

NB. I am not discouraging you from applying. Just be aware it looks like you’ll be less likely to get an offer. It sounds like you have a sensible Plan B anyway, so you’ve nothing to lose apart from the application fee.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The top 3 London unis are looking very unlikely to make you offers. I would make at least one substitution for a uni that is slightly less competitive while still being a reputable uni for Law in the UK and Singapore, such as Birmingham or Nottingham.

They still ideally want AAA so are still high risk but less so
Last edited by harrysbar; 1 year ago
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Entirely possible.

I wouldn’t bother with an FOI myself. Pulling together the final grades that Singaporean candidates were admitted with is a big job and likely to exceed the maximum time they can allocate to such requests. Even a successful request can only tell you what grades those candidates held, but it won’t tell you why they were accepted. Maybe they had other quals alongside their H2’s, or their personal statements were considerably stronger than other candidates.

I’d just crack on and apply, the fee is nominal and the OP has a good backup plan.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (8)
10.39%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (50)
64.94%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (11)
14.29%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (7)
9.09%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (1)
1.3%

Watched Threads