Typing original notes (condensed) then writing them during study sessions, effective? Watch

jam1e
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I started my biology degree this year, and I've quickly found that I'm not good at writing out notes. I'm very picky and like my original notes to be neat and clear, but I write like a toddler so I can't bare to read back through my own notes. I'm also a very slow writer and writing my notes left me falling behind on lecture notes. I know writing notes means that you retain the information better, but would it be as effective if I typed the notes originally, and then wrote them up during studying and since these aren't my actual revision notes I can just write them up normally and not have to worry about how messy they are. I also plan on using my original notes to make flashcards too, does this sound like it'll be effective for memorising and learning the information?

izzy.nesbit
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by jam1e)
I started my biology degree this year, and I've quickly found that I'm not good at writing out notes. I'm very picky and like my original notes to be neat and clear, but I write like a toddler so I can't bare to read back through my own notes. I'm also a very slow writer and writing my notes left me falling behind on lecture notes. I know writing notes means that you retain the information better, but would it be as effective if I typed the notes originally, and then wrote them up during studying and since these aren't my actual revision notes I can just write them up normally and not have to worry about how messy they are. I also plan on using my original notes to make flashcards too, does this sound like it'll be effective for memorising and learning the information?
I think that sounds like a good idea! If you are a slow writer, the best way to do it is to type it in the lecture and then write it out the same day (if possible) I found this to be the best way when you’re a slow writer
jam1e
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by izzy.nesbit)
I think that sounds like a good idea! If you are a slow writer, the best way to do it is to type it in the lecture and then write it out the same day (if possible) I found this to be the best way when you’re a slow writer
I'm not so much a slow writer when it doesn't matter how my writing looks, but when taking my actual revision notes, it takes a lifetime. So you think this method will still be good for retention, even when writing out the typed notes will basically just be a repeat of what I already took on my laptop? Thank you so much for your response
jam1e
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
Bump.. anyone else have anything?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Musical Theatre Undergraduate
    Fri, 13 Dec '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20

Have you voted in today's general election?

Yes (9)
56.25%
No (4)
25%
I'm not old enough (3)
18.75%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise