UK is "illegal colonial occupier" after ignoring UN deadline to return stolen islands Watch

AngeryPenguin
Badges: 18
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
The UK has been called an illegal colonial occupier by Mauritius after it ignored a deadline to return control of an overseas territory to the island nation.

The UN had given the UK six months to give up control of the Chagos Islands - but that period has now passed.

Mauritius says it was forced to trade the small archipelago in the Indian Ocean in 1965 for independence.

In May, the UN General Assembly voted overwhelmingly in favour of the Chagos Islands being returned - with 116 states backing the move and only six against.

The UN said that the decolonisation of Mauritius "was not conducted in a manner consistent with the right to self-determination" and that therefore the "continued administration... constitutes a wrongful act".

As the six-month period came to a close, Mauritian Prime Minister Pravind Jugnauth said the UK was now an illegal colonial occupier.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50511847
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by AngeryPenguin)
The UK has been called an illegal colonial occupier by Mauritius after it ignored a deadline to return control of an overseas territory to the island nation.

The UN had given the UK six months to give up control of the Chagos Islands - but that period has now passed.

Mauritius says it was forced to trade the small archipelago in the Indian Ocean in 1965 for independence.

In May, the UN General Assembly voted overwhelmingly in favour of the Chagos Islands being returned - with 116 states backing the move and only six against.

The UN said that the decolonisation of Mauritius "was not conducted in a manner consistent with the right to self-determination" and that therefore the "continued administration... constitutes a wrongful act".

As the six-month period came to a close, Mauritian Prime Minister Pravind Jugnauth said the UK was now an illegal colonial occupier.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50511847
Once again IdentityPenguin points out the mote in a western democracy's eye while ignoring the plank in China's.

Tibet, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Vietnam and the Philippines would all like to remind you of China's serious problems in this regard.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Meh. Nobody cares what the UN thinks.
CTLeafez
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
What if Mauritius gave the UK a refund on the amount they paid for it...?

If they happily traded the land to us and they do so eagerly want it back, I’m sure they’ll be willing to give the money back (obviously + development costs which have been invested by the UK).
Guru Jason
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The islands were sold to us so surely it's up to us, not some international committee to decide what to do with them.
DiddyDecAlt
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Is this like those islands in the South China sea that China has recently militarised?
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

The UN assembly can kick and scream all they like, but nothing will come of it. I wonder how long it will be until the UN pass a resolution saying we should hand over the Falklands to Argentina because the Spanish once had a garrison there, despite the fact Argentina signed the Arana-Southern Treaty and it was a further 34 years before they every complained about British rule there with a diplomatic protest lodged 4 years later, and then another 53 years of silence. And of course let us not forget that twice we offered to take it to the ICJ and Argentina refused, and then when we went unilaterally the Argies refused to accept any judgement. Of course this is all before considering the islanders voted by 1513-3 to retain their current status just 6 years ago.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Who cares, its not like Mauritius is even a real country.
Just my opinion
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Did we keep the receipt?
Perhaps we can get our money back. ☺️
The RAR
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yeah as if we will take the UN seriously, we are legal colonial occupiers, we own it we decide what to do with it not some other organisation which has no connection with the islands whatsoever
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Just add it to our crime tab.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
Once again IdentityPenguin points out the mote in a western democracy's eye while ignoring the plank in China's.

Tibet, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Vietnam and the Philippines would all like to remind you of China's serious problems in this regard.
"IdentityPenguin" :rofl:
The RAR
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
Just add it to our crime tab.
I acc cracked on this
999tigger
Report 1 week ago
How is the angery penguin shill able to get away with posting all their racist and western anti white crap day in day out? Why do TSR support them?
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
How is the angery penguin shill able to get away with posting all their racist and western anti white crap day in day out? Why do TSR support them?
Clicks...

I know. It's ridiculous.
999tigger
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
Clicks...

I know. It's ridiculous.
Apparently they dont break community rules, except if I was posting such crap against black people I would be banned.
Shame on TSR.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Apparently they dont break community rules, except if I was posting such crap against black people I would be banned.
Shame on TSR.
Didn't you know you can't be racist against white people?
Fujoshi
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)

The UN assembly can kick and scream all they like, but nothing will come of it. I wonder how long it will be until the UN pass a resolution saying we should hand over the Falklands to Argentina because the Spanish once had a garrison there, despite the fact Argentina signed the Arana-Southern Treaty and it was a further 34 years before they every complained about British rule there with a diplomatic protest lodged 4 years later, and then another 53 years of silence. And of course let us not forget that twice we offered to take it to the ICJ and Argentina refused, and then when we went unilaterally the Argies refused to accept any judgement. Of course this is all before considering the islanders voted by 1513-3 to retain their current status just 6 years ago.
Can't help but wonder what the UN would do if the chagossians declared they wanted to be independent rather than being under the rule of Mauritius where many of them faced a great deal of discrimination when they were moved there...
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
Didn't you know you can't be racist against white people?
They're all just marshmallow crackers.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
They're all just marshmallow crackers.
:lol: exactly.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (111)
19.34%
Labour (291)
50.7%
Liberal Democrats (74)
12.89%
Green Party (30)
5.23%
Brexit Party (7)
1.22%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.52%
SNP (13)
2.26%
Plaid Cymru (3)
0.52%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
1.05%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (3)