aaaaaaaa vgxthjj
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Is it smart for me to switch from sl physics to hl physics and from hl English to sl English after having already written the first half year exams?
help pls don't know what to do
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Unless they have changed things since I did IB (which is quite likely as it was 10 years ago nearly), the overall qualification is linear, so the only potential issue in terms of assessment are the IAs you may have done in the meantime. That said I had no issue when I swapped from SL Visual Arts to HL VIsual Arts while dropping HL Biology to SL Biology at the end of year 12. Many people swapped between HL and SL Maths during year 12 and quite a few swapped from SL Maths to Maths Studies at the end of year 12 as well.

Ultimately it will depend on your teachers and IB coordinator agreeing to it; you should talk to your IB coordinator about this and see what they advise. The major issue I suppose is that unlike many of the subject swaps in my cohort (generally in English or in my case, Visual Arts) the fundamental content of the HL vs SL syllabus is different for Physics (while in English they had to study a couple more texts, the underlying literary analysis is the same and they just needed to perform that at a higher level), so you may need to do a fair bit of work to catch up, depending how they structure the course at your school. In principle there shouldn't be an issue with it, but in practice it may or may not be feasible depending on how your school teaches things.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 3 weeks ago
aaaaaaaa vgxthjj
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Unless they have changed things since I did IB (which is quite likely as it was 10 years ago nearly), the overall qualification is linear, so the only potential issue in terms of assessment are the IAs you may have done in the meantime. That said I had no issue when I swapped from SL Visual Arts to HL VIsual Arts while dropping HL Biology to SL Biology at the end of year 12. Many people swapped between HL and SL Maths during year 12 and quite a few swapped from SL Maths to Maths Studies at the end of year 12 as well.

Ultimately it will depend on your teachers and IB coordinator agreeing to it; you should talk to your IB coordinator about this and see what they advise. The major issue I suppose is that unlike many of the subject swaps in my cohort (generally in English or in my case, Visual Arts) the fundamental content of the HL vs SL syllabus is different for Physics (while in English they had to study a couple more texts, the underlying literary analysis is the same and they just needed to perform that at a higher level), so you may need to do a fair bit of work to catch up, depending how they structure the course at your school. In principle there shouldn't be an issue with it, but in practice it may or may not be feasible depending on how your school teaches things.
Thank you very much, your comment is very helpful! I think i am going to go thru with it. The thing is also I am the only sl physic student in my class so i did attend all of the hl classes for physics as well. I wouldn't actually have a lot of catching up to do. We all had English together (sl and hl) until now, but now we stared doing exclusively hl syllabus and I'm really not that interested, while I have been advised to do hl physics.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by aaaaaaaa vgxthjj)
Thank you very much, your comment is very helpful! I think i am going to go thru with it. The thing is also I am the only sl physic student in my class so i did attend all of the hl classes for physics as well. I wouldn't actually have a lot of catching up to do. We all had English together (sl and hl) until now, but now we stared doing exclusively hl syllabus and I'm really not that interested, while I have been advised to do hl physics.
I think that sounds quite reasonable given you've been going to the HL classes for physics already. Provided your school has no issue with it, it seems sensible to switch if you prefer physics.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (420)
43.75%
No (101)
10.52%
I'm not old enough (439)
45.73%

Watched Threads