The Student Room Group

Revision

Hi can anyone give me some tips to revise for my GCSE's. I'm aiming to achieve a grade 6 and above.
Thanks
Depends on your learning style, some like to see things so will benefit from YouTube videos, some like to do it and so will benefit from doing something over and over again and some prefer practical based which is what flashcards are for.

Also, what classes have you taken?
Reply 2
Original post by pemzy
Depends on your learning style, some like to see things so will benefit from YouTube videos, some like to do it and so will benefit from doing something over and over again and some prefer practical based which is what flashcards are for.

I have taken:
Triple Science-Edexcel
Business-Edexcel
History-AQA
Maths-AQA
R.E.-Edexcel
English Lit & Lan- AQA
Original post by Jass12356
I have taken:
Triple Science-Edexcel
Business-Edexcel
History-AQA
Maths-AQA
R.E.-Edexcel
English Lit & Lan- AQA

Seneca may help, it's a free revision site with almost every subject and it'll cover everything you need to know and test you occasionally.
Here's a list of some revision sites I have saved on to my phone that you can check out:
Eng: dystopia junkie, click revision (insp calls), Mr bruff, Stacy read,
Mth: math genie.co.uk, Corbett maths, primrose kitten, fuseschool, Syd institute, wrightmaths, doctor jem, hegarty maths
Sci: freesciencelessons.co.uk, primrose kitten, science with hazel, Gorillaphysics,* doodlescience, fuseschool
Bpe: Haydon school REP Department (christ +Islam) MrMcMillianREvis
Reply 4
Original post by pemzy
Seneca may help, it's a free revision site with almost every subject and it'll cover everything you need to know and test you occasionally.
Here's a list of some revision sites I have saved on to my phone that you can check out:
Eng: dystopia junkie, click revision (insp calls), Mr bruff, Stacy read,
Mth: math genie.co.uk, Corbett maths, primrose kitten, fuseschool, Syd institute, wrightmaths, doctor jem, hegarty maths
Sci: freesciencelessons.co.uk, primrose kitten, science with hazel, Gorillaphysics,* doodlescience, fuseschool
Bpe: Haydon school REP Department (christ +Islam) MrMcMillianREvis

Thank you.
It really depends on your subjects.

English:
- Practise analysing but choosing random passages from books and articles, and annotating for litarary techniques, meaning and author's intentions.
- Practise essays on your given texts
- Learn quotes with quizlet
- Mindmaps for different themes as essay plans instead of having to write the whole essay.

Maths/ science:
- practice questions -> mark questions -> use textbooks, revision guides and the internet to improves topics that you can't do/ struggle with
- flashcards to learn necessary facts/ equations

Languages:
- QUizlet for vocab
- Practice talking to yourself and writing in the language - perhaps whrite a diary?
- Listen to music in the language

Of course, different methods will work for different people, so it's worth shopping around a bit. Just be aware that reading textbooks and not doing anyhitng with the informations is proven to be incredibly ineffective.
You need to find the way that works for you. For me it's half an hour hard studying, five minute break.
Reply 7
Original post by redmeercat
It really depends on your subjects.

English:
- Practise analysing but choosing random passages from books and articles, and annotating for litarary techniques, meaning and author's intentions.
- Practise essays on your given texts
- Learn quotes with quizlet
- Mindmaps for different themes as essay plans instead of having to write the whole essay.

Maths/ science:
- practice questions -> mark questions -> use textbooks, revision guides and the internet to improves topics that you can't do/ struggle with
- flashcards to learn necessary facts/ equations

Languages:
- QUizlet for vocab
- Practice talking to yourself and writing in the language - perhaps whrite a diary?
- Listen to music in the language

Of course, different methods will work for different people, so it's worth shopping around a bit. Just be aware that reading textbooks and not doing anyhitng with the informations is proven to be incredibly ineffective.

Thank you for your help.
Reply 8
Original post by MrMusician95
You need to find the way that works for you. For me it's half an hour hard studying, five minute break.

Okay. Thank you.
Thank you for your help.

No problem. Which subjects are you taking, btw?
Reply 10
Original post by redmeercat
No problem. Which subjects are you taking, btw?

I have taken:
Triple Science-Edexcel
Business-Edexcel
History-AQA
Maths-AQA
R.E.-Edexcel
English Lit & Lan- AQA
Reply 11
Original post by pemzy

I have taken:
Triple Science-Edexcel
Business-Edexcel
History-AQA
Maths-AQA
R.E.-Edexcel
English Lit & Lan- AQA
I have taken:
Triple Science-Edexcel
Business-Edexcel
History-AQA
Maths-AQA
R.E.-Edexcel
English Lit & Lan- AQA

Great! I find mindmaps really helpful for history, but it really depends on what you like.

Quick Reply

Latest