hweasel
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I really want to study Linguistics at uni but also am very interested in Latin. I never got to take it at GCSE so can't study it for A-level which is definitely going to limit my choices. Do you guys know of any unis that would allow me to study both that don't require A-level Latin??
Carol R. Lawson
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i dont think its a very relevant language to take but i do know of someone who did Latin to GCSE/AS and they found it ok as so many words crossover into English!
rorysan
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
do both, one at uni and the other at night school simples, if you have the basics, go for it, you only get one life live it. no regrets give it a tray. I left school in 1976. I couldn't reed write or tell the time, am a post grad, still cant spell worth a toss, but I don't care and I was editor and chief of the college news paper, I was also joint other at the time, as part of the second chance education team. don't let what if hold you back mate you only live one's take the chance, if you failed you tried, if you look back in ten years and say what if and wonder, it's to bloody late then isn't it?
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by hweasel)
I really want to study Linguistics at uni but also am very interested in Latin. I never got to take it at GCSE so can't study it for A-level which is definitely going to limit my choices. Do you guys know of any unis that would allow me to study both that don't require A-level Latin??
The only joint honours Linguistics and Latin course I can find is at the University of Manchester; they state that they will accept students with Latin ab initio i.e. if you haven't done it at GCSE or A level, but require at least one of your A levels to be writing-based as opposed to practical. See here: http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/un...course-profile
hweasel
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
The only joint honours Linguistics and Latin course I can find is at the University of Manchester; they state that they will accept students with Latin ab initio i.e. if you haven't done it at GCSE or A level, but require at least one of your A levels to be writing-based as opposed to practical. See here: www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2020/00275/ba-latin-and-linguistics/entry-requirements/#course-profile
Thanks so much!
Classics_Teacher
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Be aware that Latin courses from scratch are fast-paced in universities, since their aim is to get Classics students up to A-Level and beyond within a year. The key to succeeding in them is to do as much work on the language as you can during the summer holiday and to work steadily at the language each week... little and often is better than leaving it all to the last minute and trying to cram it before a test!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (96)
27.51%
No (253)
72.49%

Watched Threads