Should the rest of the UK get a say in Scottish independence? Watch

Ferrograd
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
If Scotland is allowed a referendum on secession, surely the rest of the UK should get a vote? After all, they are part of our country - many other UK citizens live in Scotland, many UK companies etc and a lot of us wouldn't want to see scotland leave the uK.
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
On this argument, sure the rest of Europe should get a say in the UK's departure? In other words - no.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
No.
There shouldn't be another scottish independence referendum either.
One was more than enough.
ThirdBack
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
No, as then Europeans should get a vote on Brexit.

We should maybe get a referendum if they remain, we can choose to boot the miserable buggers out :P
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Ferrograd)
If Scotland is allowed a referendum on secession, surely the rest of the UK should get a vote? After all, they are part of our country - many other UK citizens live in Scotland, many UK companies etc and a lot of us wouldn't want to see scotland leave the uK.
No. Just as the EU countries didnt get a vote in the referendum.
And no, Scotland is not part of 'our country' it is a constituent part of a 'federation' (for lack of a better term) with England, Wales and NI.
As to not wanting to see Scotland leave, the nationalists in England couldnt have done a better job of telling Scotland to go **** themselves if they tried..
QE2
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I've noticed something interesting about this issue.
The same people who insist that the country will be stronger and better out of a union of nations, so an individual state can have legal, political and economic autonomy - are usually the same people insisting that we are stronger and better as a union of nations subject to centrally-planned law, policy and economy.

It's almost as if they are deliberately talking bol;ocks.
Glaz
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
dear god no
MrMusician95
Badges: 19
Report 2 weeks ago
Did the rest of the EU get a say in the EU referendum? I'm sorry, even EU nationals living in the UK did not get a say.
JanusGodofDoors
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
No. I’m against independence, but the rest of the UK should not get a vote.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (312)
46.29%
No (75)
11.13%
I'm not old enough (287)
42.58%

Watched Threads