The Student Room Group

Chinese a level?

i am planning to do biology, chemistry and maths for a level. however i also thought it would be a good idea to do chinese a level? but i dont know if i want to.
please could someone give an example of the work load, intensity of the course etc.
i do speak chinese at home but to be honest its more like chinglish.
i am a british born malaysian chinese, never been or lived in china.
i also have been going to chinese school once a week since i was around 5, and i am taking my chinese gcse next year, 2020.
not sure if i should do it as i've looked at other conversations, saying that if it is your native language, which i guess it is because i speak it at home, unis dont really look at it as it is an 'easy' a level for you to achieve. etc.
however, i do find chinese difficult at times as i only speak it at home, and even then its chinglish, and am not at all fluent.
sorry thats a load of info but hopefully you get the gist.
if someone could help that'd be great :smile:)
I'm a non-native who is taking the A-level this year and it is a lot of work on my own. you have to read, analyse and study one or two novels and/or one film from the list on the syllabus and you have to go into depth with it remembering quotes, what things symbolise, the context from that time it was written and about how it could link to the life of the author/director, writing techniques like metaphors etc. it is a lot of work. on top of that you have to do 2 translations and be very accurate with it to get decent marks. one is Chinese to English and the other is English to Chinese. the speaking exam is difficult and you have to revise a lot before taking it. a lot of native Chinese people go into the speaking exam without having revised as they are native speakers yet they can't attain high grades if they can't recall facts and statics that relate to the Chinese speaking world such as " the gap between the rich and poor in China" . if you speak it at home it might be easier but just to prepare I'd recommend you find a tutor who knows the specification for the A-level and can help you. the exams are quite vocab specific too so learn the important vocab relating to the themes like 單親,婚姻,老齡化,家庭機構.
hope that helps you
Reply 2
ah i saw this a while ago and didnt reply oops but thank u for all the info! i decided not to do chinese a level :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending