The Student Room Group

do braces really hurt?

the dentist said i’m gonna need braces and i was just wondering if they really hurt. someone said to me it’s extremely painful and you won’t even be able to talk for a week bc it hurts that much. is that true?
only hurts for 2 days for me

depends on ur hospital
They hurt when you get them tightened usually every 6-8 weeks, it hurts for about three/four days and then the pain eases.

It’s quite dramatic to say you won’t be able to talk, that’s normally a persons preference not because of the pain.

The pain can’t be that bad because so many people have them.
I agree when I had mine fitted some years ago, they hurt for the first 24, hours then the pain subsides .
I took the decision that a little pain was worthwhile for the end result nice straight teeth.
When I had braces I had some pain for the first few days, after that I just got used to them. I only experienced any discomfort whenever I got them tightened. I wore braces for about 2 years between the ages of 13 & 15 and I think it was worth it. I was self conscious about my teeth before and getting them straightened made me more confident about my appearance.
Original post by Anonymous
the dentist said i’m gonna need braces and i was just wondering if they really hurt. someone said to me it’s extremely painful and you won’t even be able to talk for a week bc it hurts that much. is that true?

No it's really not that bad trust me. Maybe for a few days at most, but you will be able to talk. chewing hurts a little bit, but the pain will go good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest