SteveWaters
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi just wondering if anyone knows any good resources for Don Paterson poems for higher English?

My English teacher literally just reads off the board from bbc bitesize so I have no good notes.
oftrt
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Lol did you find anything? I was looking for some good annotations, particularly for "Rain" as I have no idea what it's about and we have a critical reading paper in 2 weeks
Last edited by oftrt; 6 days ago
jamesg2
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
It is with trepidation I involve myself in this thread.

Scottish Set Texts has a resource on Don Paterson's poetry. Unfortunately it is not a free site. I have received some very positive reactions to this volume.

It is true Don Paterson's poetry is considered difficult, actually it is not. Part of the reason is that Don Paterson - aside from being a notable Scottish poet - is a reputable lecturer in poetry and a imppressive writer on the poetic form. Ironically he has written more about poetry, than he has written poetry. I am always wondering to what degree is Don Paterson the poet at work on this poem and to what degree is Don Paterson the poetic philosopher influencing this poem - and the ideas of Don Paterson the poetic philodopher can be seen in the set of six poems.

"Rain" is an interesting poem. I was not aware that Don was fully paid up lover of films and TV series. Since I have alerted students to my site, it is only fair I give back something.The poem "Rain" is one consequence of Don's love of films. As pointed out he makes clear any film that begins with rain Don knows he will enjoy. However within a Don Paterson poem is the metaphysical quibble - as he refers to it. The metapysical quible is the theme and issue that the initial idea has led him onto. The initial idea in this poem is that Don loves films that begin with rain. The "quibble" - the pjilosophical idea - is about the idea that it is rain that provides and sustains life on earth.

I agree there is a dearth of resources on Don's poetry and some well known resources that do exist have misunderstand aspects of his poetry.
Last edited by jamesg2; 6 days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (92)
42.4%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (38)
17.51%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (84)
38.71%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (3)
1.38%

Watched Threads