Help, i need clarification on what a levels should i take. (Edexcel IAL) Watch

MahdeenSkyYT
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Due to family obligations, i am required to take 4 As Levels, which include Pure Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, and Biology.
I have my as level exams at January of 2020.

i have already decided to take computer science/engineering as my university degree in the future.
Furthermore, is there a point in taking both biology and chemistry?
as the university requirements seem to state that it requires physics and maths A Level and one other AS level for applying, do i get any credit/advantage over other students if i take 4 as over the 3 as requirement? does this give me a better chance of being able to enroll at my university of choice, or is this completely useless in the essence that i'd be able to have a broad range of career choices when I am already finalized with one?
stitchbxc
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Honestly, it’s not that big of a deal. Clearly you are taking very tough subjects and all will be credited well depending on your results. I am now 22, almost finishing university. I did two years in one in my last year of A levels due to moving schools. I took 3 A levels. And got into university with an unconditional. Please don’t worry about it too much, life gets harder and the pressure of school is nothing! Don’t worry.
Roha125
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I have similar subjects
Bio,Chem,Phy and Mathematics with only AS in Further Mathematics.

Yes if you are going for computer science then that Bio might not be helpful in the long run.
If you can you should switch it up with Computer Science or ITC A level (One is Edexcel and another for Cambridge,forgot which was which)(heard cambridge one is much easier)(don't switch now as exams are close)

Even I want to go to engineering carrier but life is not certain so just to broaden my uni major selection I kept 4.5 subjects (had to let go of A2 FP as I took late decision to take the subject)
Yes universities will ask for 3 A levels but competitive ones will ask for more subjects and if you are looking for schoolaships then 4 A levels is good( better the more but don't let too many subjects ruin your main core subjects-Phy & Maths)

Your Bio may not be useful for many engineering degrees (except the biochem,biotech,biomed which I will apply)but universities will always pick you against a student with 3 A levels(given that both of you have similar results)
MahdeenSky
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Roha125)
I have similar subjects
Bio,Chem,Phy and Mathematics with only AS in Further Mathematics.

Yes if you are going for computer science then that Bio might not be helpful in the long run.
If you can you should switch it up with Computer Science or ITC A level (One is Edexcel and another for Cambridge,forgot which was which)(heard cambridge one is much easier)(don't switch now as exams are close)

Even I want to go to engineering carrier but life is not certain so just to broaden my uni major selection I kept 4.5 subjects (had to let go of A2 FP as I took late decision to take the subject)
Yes universities will ask for 3 A levels but competitive ones will ask for more subjects and if you are looking for schoolaships then 4 A levels is good( better the more but don't let too many subjects ruin your main core subjects-Phy & Maths)

Your Bio may not be useful for many engineering degrees (except the biochem,biotech,biomed which I will apply)but universities will always pick you against a student with 3 A levels(given that both of you have similar results)
Ty this is really helpful
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (282)
46.53%
No (69)
11.39%
I'm not old enough (255)
42.08%

Watched Threads