tsradmihelopersy
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Dear all,

I applied to LSE as an international (EU student from France). I went to a government-owned school. In France, we call government-owned schools public schools. In the UK, however, public-schools are private schools.
The problem is that my referee wrote that I went to a public-school, as here it is understood as a government-school. According to the UK, however, I went to a governmen-school (owned by the government; didn't pay a fee). In my personal statement, I wrote that I went to a government-school.

I am afraid that this might harm my application, as the admissions officers might think I went to a private-school, even though I didn't. What should I do?
tsradmihelopersy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
LeapingLucy, Prix0 possibly you know?
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If you're worried, just email LSE to clarify. I'm sure the admissions staff will be able to work it out though - the LSE staff is very international, so for a lot of them 'public' will mean 'state' school.

Personally, if I saw anyone who wasn't British talking about going to a public school, I'd assume they meant a state school. I'm sure the admissions staff will do the same.

It's because public schools aren't just private schools - the term 'public school' really only refers to 7 particularly famous private schools. I went to private school, but I didn't go to public school. Applying from France, it'll be pretty obvious what you're talking about.
Last edited by LeapingLucy; 3 weeks ago
tsradmihelopersy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by LeapingLucy)
If you're worried, just email LSE to clarify. I'm sure the admissions staff will be able to work it out though - the LSE staff is very international, so for a lot of them 'public' will mean 'state' school.

Personally, if I saw anyone who wasn't British talking about going to a public school, I'd assume they meant a state school. I'm sure the admissions staff will do the same.

It's because public schools aren't just private schools - the term 'public school' really only refers to 7 particularly famous private schools. I went to private school, but I didn't go to public school. Applying from France, it'll be pretty obvious what you're talking about.
Thank you so much! This really helps me out - at least mentally! ;-) Have a great sunday!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (358)
45.49%
No (84)
10.67%
I'm not old enough (345)
43.84%

Watched Threads