Does VAT apply to me as a private individual, for imported goods from outside the EU? Watch

Kocytean
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Looking at buying a high end guitar, four digits, from the US. The seller is private, and I am interested in purchasing for my personal use; I am not a business. I know I have to pay VAT on the total shipping and insurance cost, but I am unsure on whether VAT applies to the whole value of the goods?

Many thanks
Appirition
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
VAT doesn't apply on anything bought outside the UK because VAT is a UK tax, plus VAT in the UK, or Sales Tax in the USA only applies to businesses, however, you will have to pay import tax.
Kocytean
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Appirition)
VAT doesn't apply on anything bought outside the UK because VAT is a UK tax, plus VAT in the UK, or Sales Tax in the USA only applies to businesses, however, you will have to pay import tax.
VAT does apply to goods bought overseas, from outside the EU in particular. Any knowledgeable answers would be greatly appreciated please.
martin7
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Kocytean)
Looking at buying a high end guitar, four digits, from the US. The seller is private, and I am interested in purchasing for my personal use; I am not a business. I know I have to pay VAT on the total shipping and insurance cost, but I am unsure on whether VAT applies to the whole value of the goods?

Many thanks
Try here: Tax and customs for goods sent from abroad

Anything posted or couriered to you goes through customs to check it isn’t banned or restricted and you pay the right tax and ‘duty’ (customs charges) on it.

This includes anything new or used that you:

buy online
buy abroad and send back to the UK
receive as a gift
You'll pay VAT on the cost of the item, as well as duty (and VAT on the duty). Duty appears to be 3.7% on electric guitars and 3.2% on non-electric guitars.
Kocytean
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by martin7)
Try here: Tax and customs for goods sent from abroad

You'll pay VAT on the cost of the item, as well as duty (and VAT on the duty). Duty appears to be 3.7% on electric guitars and 3.2% on non-electric guitars.
Perfect, thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (114)
19.45%
Labour (297)
50.68%
Liberal Democrats (75)
12.8%
Green Party (30)
5.12%
Brexit Party (7)
1.19%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.51%
SNP (13)
2.22%
Plaid Cymru (3)
0.51%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
1.02%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (3)