english lit revision

Watch this thread
ami.xxo
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
hey all, i am currently doing ma=acbeth and dr jekyll and mr hyde , but im extremely confused on how to revise these texts. Like i have no clue on how to understand these texts.
sporkified
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Hi there,
I'm doing the same texts as you! Ask your teachers if there are any revision guides at your library you could borrow, or alternatively you could buy one yourself. If you're struggling with the plot, there are many videos explaining them. I recommend Overly Sarcastic Productions on YouTube who did a video on Macbeth and also one on Jekyll and Hyde.
If you're finding the texts hard to understand go through them slowly. Make sure you know what each word means and you'll get the hang of it soon enough. Check out No Fear Shakespeare on Sparknotes to read alongside Macbeth.

When you understand the texts, make flashcards for the plots of both of them. Use Quizlet to memorise key quotes and practice analysing them. Finally, learn some context surrounding the texts - flashcards can help with those too.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions.
hypez
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
watch videos on youtube, such as mr bruff
ProbablyPallas
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
^ Mr Bruff isn't particularly good for in-depth revision, and I'd only use him for basic overviews/key themes; just use him to gloss over everything the night before the exam.

Step one would be to read the texts, then to perhaps see different versions of them (movies, plays e.c.t) which can help you understand the narrative better. Then pick out key themes, and go through the texts again and find quotes which relate to these themes and always think about what Shakespeare/Stevenson is trying to tell the reader/audience, how they're using characterisation and dramatic methods e.c.t, how this can link to context of the time they were written and then how it is perceived from a modern perspective (AQA love that crap). Flashcards for revision and practice essays. Good luck If anyone needs any help with English Lit feel free to PM, though I usually start helping a bit closer to exam time. (studied both English Lit and English Language A Level, AQA.)
Last edited by ProbablyPallas; 2 years ago
Flame22
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
you need to make sure you memorise some quotes, you do not need to exactly know them and be able to right them correctly but have some quotes that you have memorised and then ask your teacher to break them down for you so that you can explain what they mean when writing, it helped me alot.i hope it helps u too.
Also, you can always break them down and write them in flash cards where as long as you memorised them, you do not need to understand what they really mean, all you have to do is keep them in mind but mainly do that for the hardest parts that you do not understand at all.
Davy611
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by sporkified)
Hi there,
I'm doing the same texts as you! Ask your teachers if there are any revision guides at your library you could borrow, or alternatively you could buy one yourself. If you're struggling with the plot, there are many videos explaining them. I recommend Overly Sarcastic Productions on YouTube who did a video on Macbeth and also one on Jekyll and Hyde.
If you're finding the texts hard to understand go through them slowly. Make sure you know what each word means and you'll get the hang of it soon enough. Check out No Fear Shakespeare on Sparknotes to read alongside Macbeth.

When you understand the texts, make flashcards for the plots of both of them. Use Quizlet to memorise key quotes and practice analysing them. Finally, learn some context surrounding the texts - flashcards can help with those too.

Thanks for the recommendation of 'Overly Sarcastic'. I haven't heard of this company before. They've produced lots of potentially interesting resources.
ami.xxo
Rep:
(Original post by hypez)
watch videos on youtube, such as mr bruff
oh ok thank you .. i have an exam on act 3 in Macbeth and chapter 9 or 10 in Dr Jeyll and Mr Hyde. Do you have other revision that would beneift me just for that.
ami.xxo
Rep:
(Original post by ProbablyPallas)
^ Mr Bruff isn't particularly good for in-depth revision, and I'd only use him for basic overviews/key themes; just use him to gloss over everything the night before the exam.

Step one would be to read the texts, then to perhaps see different versions of them (movies, plays e.c.t) which can help you understand the narrative better. Then pick out key themes, and go through the texts again and find quotes which relate to these themes and always think about what Shakespeare/Stevenson is trying to tell the reader/audience, how they're using characterisation and dramatic methods e.c.t, how this can link to context of the time they were written and then how it is perceived from a modern perspective (AQA love that crap). Flashcards for revision and practice essays. Good luck If anyone needs any help with English Lit feel free to PM, though I usually start helping a bit closer to exam time. (studied both English Lit and English Language A Level, AQA.)
heyy could you please help me .. i am extremely stuck
ami.xxo
Rep:
(Original post by sporkified)
Hi there,

oh okk .. thank youuu soo much
ProbablyPallas
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ami.xxo)
heyy could you please help me .. i am extremely stuck
Feel free to ask here or send me a PM
ami.xxo
Rep:
(Original post by ProbablyPallas)
Feel free to ask here or send me a PM
thank youuu
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (5)
17.24%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (3)
10.34%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
13.79%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (3)
10.34%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (7)
24.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (7)
24.14%

Watched Threads