The Student Room Group

Politics or Law

Hello,

I am currently deciding between studying Law or Politics at Uni, probably at Newcastle, I was wondering if people could give me some advice. I know law is more academic and a job in Law is likely better paying than a job with a politics degree, but I’ve heard that law is so competitive and it’s very hard to find a job (so I might just end up working in something else anyway).

Don’t really want to do a combined politics/law degree either, but both areas interest me.

Entry requirements are both within my predicted grades. Any opinions?

Ta
Original post by VLEX
Hello,

I am currently deciding between studying Law or Politics at Uni, probably at Newcastle, I was wondering if people could give me some advice. I know law is more academic and a job in Law is likely better paying than a job with a politics degree, but I’ve heard that law is so competitive and it’s very hard to find a job (so I might just end up working in something else anyway).

Don’t really want to do a combined politics/law degree either, but both areas interest me.

Entry requirements are both within my predicted grades. Any opinions?

Ta

I believe you have already applied for Politics/International Relations so I would stick with that as it is obviously a subject that interests you. You could still consider Law as a career with a Politics/IR degree and at least you will have enjoyed your degree. Imminent changes to the routes into solicitor training are likely to make it even easier in the future to switch to that career from a non Law background.
Reply 2
people don't study law only to become solicitors/barristers. i can name 7 friends/classmates who got non-law jobs shortly after graduation and have no interest in pursing otherwise.

your salary is not determined by your degree but the job itself and your level of experience and/or speciality. you can and will compete for the same job with a politics or law degree and your salary will not be dependent on it.

uni is largely self study and law is very political. i wrote tonnes of essays from a political perspective, so you can enjoy both at the same time; but like anything it's mostly up to you to research and write (not hard tho).

not saying you shouldn't do a politics degree; i just think you're worried about the wrong things. your overall CV matters more than your degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending