kamelk
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
i’m in year 10 and do not do gcse chemistry
i am interested in working in the medical field
can i take chemistry at university even though i don’t do it at gcse level i do take physics and biology
kamelk
Rep:
?
hello guys
i want to study in the medical field when u finish school
i’m currently in year 10 and i don’t do chemistry at gcse level
however i do take physics and biology
is there a chance i can still do something medicine related and take chemistry in university
lia_r18
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
How do you not do chemistry at GCSE? Every school does it?
teeda_p
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by kamelk)
can i take chemistry at university even though i don’t do it at gcse level i do take physics and biology
Are you thinking of taking chemistry A-Level? If not it would be extremely difficult to do it at uni. You can still take chemistry A-Level if you haven't done the gcse but obviously you would have to put in a lot more work
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
So do you want to work in the medical field or do a chemistry degree?

This is the Medicine forum so we're obviously here to advise on getting into medical school. Which science GCSEs are you doing? There are medical schools which would accept you without GCSE/A level chemistry, but you would need to check carefully. This is a good resource, though requirements may change by the time you get round to applying:

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...al-schools.pdf
Democracy
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by teeda_p)
Are you thinking of taking chemistry A-Level? If not it would be extremely difficult to do it at uni. You can still take chemistry A-Level if you haven't done the gcse but obviously you would have to put in a lot more work
Er...can you? A level chemistry stretches many students who have done well in GCSE - can't imagine it would be manageable for those who haven't studied it at all after year 9
kamelk
Rep:
?
(Original post by Democracy)
So do you want to work in the medical field or do a chemistry degree?

This is the Medicine forum so we're obviously here to advise on getting into medical school. Which science GCSEs are you doing? There are medical schools which would accept you without GCSE/A level chemistry, but you would need to check carefully. This is a good resource, though requirements may change by the time you get round to applying:

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...al-schools.pdf
thank you for the reply
i take gcse physics and biology but not chem
so what your saying is that there is a possibility that i can get accepted without a gcse or A level in chem but take it in uni?
MrMusician95
Badges: 19
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by lia_r18)
How do you not do chemistry at GCSE? Every school does it?
Nah they don't. Most state schools do double or triple science where you learn each one. Where I did my A Levels, and GCSEs, we were allowed to choose if we wanted to do all three or just two of the sciences, as we did IGCSE each science was a different subject all together. Though, most people did all three.
Democracy
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
thank you for the reply
i take gcse physics and biology but not chem
so what your saying is that there is a possibility that i can get accepted without a gcse or A level in chem but take it in uni?
I'm not saying this at all because it's still not clear what you're asking about. Do you want to study medicine or chemistry? I've assumed it's medicine since you're posting in the Medicine forum. Maybe you could clarify?
kamelk
Rep:
?
I'm not saying this at all because it's still not clear what you're asking about. Do you want to study medicine or chemistry? I've assumed it's medicine since you're posting in the Medicine forum. Maybe you could clarify?
yes i mean medicine
Democracy
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
yes i mean medicine
Okay, in the UK you don't need to study chemistry at medical school. So problem solved :borat: Apply to the medical schools which don't require GCSE or A level chemistry and also check if you are eligible for any foundation/widening participation courses.
kamelk
Rep:
?
Okay, in the UK you don't need to study chemistry at medical school. So problem solved :borat: Apply to the medical schools which don't require GCSE or A level chemistry and also check if you are eligible for any foundation/widening participation courses.
oh ok thank you so much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Have you ever accessed mental health support services at University?

Yes (46)
24.6%
No, but I have thought about it (51)
27.27%
No (90)
48.13%

Watched Threads