Artists who sound the same in every song/album? Watch

NotNotBatman
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Whether it's good or bad or somewhere in between, in your opinion?

I think every hardcore punk album, the one that comes to mind is Black Flag, after listening to an album for a while, I start to think "wait there's been 5 songs?!" even though it sounds like one song to me.

Pale waves - Same melody in every song, a catchy af one nonetheless.
Example: https://youtu.be/zfPZ6hukcw8?t=59 (start at 59 seconds). and https://youtu.be/ot1j5M5PTC4?t=82 (start at 1:22).

NF; this is the first artist on the list that I actually don't like, every song is just him shouting his fake deep lyrics.

Any criticisms of my choice or reasons to agree?

What would you add to the list?
anastasia666
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by NotNotBatman)
Whether it's good or bad or somewhere in between, in your opinion?

I think every hardcore punk album, the one that comes to mind is Black Flag, after listening to an album for a while, I start to think "wait there's been 5 songs?!" even though it sounds like one song to me.

Pale waves - Same melody in every song, a catchy af one nonetheless.
Example: https://youtu.be/zfPZ6hukcw8?t=59 (start at 59 seconds). and https://youtu.be/ot1j5M5PTC4?t=82 (start at 1:22).

NF; this is the first artist on the list that I actually don't like, every song is just him shouting his fake deep lyrics.

Any criticisms of my choice or reasons to agree?

What would you add to the list?
I agree - I like Black Flag and other punk music but the majority of bands I've heard fail to experiment or go outside the box. They just stick to the same sound. However the motivations of punk musicians probably isn't to please, is it?

I think Foo Fighters have been nominated for this type of thing a couple of times, too. I like their songs but I would probably have to agree since I've been following their discography for a while.

Although it breaks my heart to say it (as an Aussie and hardcore fan), I think you'll find AC/DC have been accused of it too. The guitarist (Angus Young) actually agreed!

All that probably wasn't helpful but it's cool to talk about bands in my study break may I ask if this is for a school thing or???
NotNotBatman
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by anastasia666)
I agree - I like Black Flag and other punk music but the majority of bands I've heard fail to experiment or go outside the box. They just stick to the same sound. However the motivations of punk musicians probably isn't to please, is it?

I think Foo Fighters have been nominated for this type of thing a couple of times, too. I like their songs but I would probably have to agree since I've been following their discography for a while.

Although it breaks my heart to say it (as an Aussie and hardcore fan), I think you'll find AC/DC have been accused of it too. The guitarist (Angus Young) actually agreed!

All that probably wasn't helpful but it's cool to talk about bands in my study break may I ask if this is for a school thing or???
Punk originally was a movement and ideology within a subculture, being politically vocal and displaying more sexuality than what was accepted at the time, but, as it died out hardcore was more about the sound, I believe. Black flag songs sound amazing, but along with a lot of hardcore; on each album it's hard to differentiate between songs. One I can think of who is different is Bad Brains, where they implemented some reggae, but still on their (albeit amazing) albums after about halfway it feels as if you're listening to the same songs again.

I have heard about AC/DC being accused for this, but I havent heard them in such a long time now, that I can't remember. Haven't heard it being said about Foo fighters though.

No, this isn't for school, I just have an interest in it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you voted in today's general election?

Yes (9)
56.25%
No (4)
25%
I'm not old enough (3)
18.75%

Watched Threads