The Student Room Group

I think I have ADHD

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Yeah but if im not doing it on purpose and i dont know why it happens then what? normal people dont have these issues, normal people dont constantly fidget and talk, normal people dont have trouble sitting or standing still, forgetting important things all the time. so clearly im not normal

also, everyone here probs thinks i want pity, i dont, i just want an objective answer and dont want to be talked down to, im just trying to understand, not everyone gets everything right. if there is something wrong with my brain, it's quite excusable and i'd get help for it wouldnt i so
hmm. well. again im saying that it's not on purpose but all i get is blamed for it which is why i dont want my parents involved. i shoulnd have posted this here i just feel more **** about myself :frown:

I know exactly where you’re coming from. Taking the blame for everything was something my son went through regularly. You actually do need the support of your parents. And a diagnosis can get you the support you need, especially if you’re struggling with your mental health. I am not an expert but I do have a great deal of experience.
however you seem to be ignoring my posts
Original post by Sammylou40
I know exactly where you’re coming from. Taking the blame for everything was something my son went through regularly. You actually do need the support of your parents. And a diagnosis can get you the support you need, especially if you’re struggling with your mental health. I am not an expert but I do have a great deal of experience.
however you seem to be ignoring my posts

im not ignoring. just didnt know what reply. they dont always take me seriously so. also im 16. give me a break
btw im not a troll, i genuinely wanted to know how i should get help, that is all i wanted
this is exactly why i dont want to tell my parents! they'd say exactly that. i shouldve just talked to a teacher at skl, its hard to get people to understnad over the internet
I guess I knew that, just wasn't sure how to go about it

I've been a SENCo and know that you will get help. You've coped because you are bright but this 'coping' is preventing you doing even better.

PLEASE go and see a doctor :smile:
im not ignoring. just didnt know what reply. they dont always take me seriously so. also im 16. give me a break

I’m not getting at you at all. Don’t misunderstand. I’m trying to give you the best advice to help you through experience.
I am taking you seriously because how you feel matters
you can pm me if you’d like some help and support
No - he's over 16 so parents won't need to be involved at this stage.
Original post by Muttley79
No - he's over 16 so parents won't need to be involved at this stage.

Correct. He doesn’t have to have his parents involved. But it can help tremendously through a diagnosis. And if he is referred then school will be asked for input
Correct. He doesn’t have to have his parents involved. But it can help tremendously through a diagnosis. And if he is referred then school will be asked for input

He needs to kick the process of first - they'll only be involved if it's necessary.
He needs to kick the process of first - they'll only be involved if it's necessary.

Absolutely. I’m encouraging him to do that
ADD is without hyperactivity. That is the only other one that matches my description. But sure. Drama.
I’m not getting at you at all. Don’t misunderstand. I’m trying to give you the best advice to help you through experience.
I am taking you seriously because how you feel matters
you can pm me if you’d like some help and support

sorry. just a tad confused. i dont want to seem like i want adhd, but i am also concerned that if i do have a worry that i have it and i ignore it and end up finding out i do have it, that wouldnt be so good. my friend didnt get diagnosed for 10 years and i dont want that to happen to me if you know what i mean
ADD is without hyperactivity. That is the only other one that matches my description. But sure. Drama.

It honestly doesn’t need to be drama. But you can and should go to speak to your gp. They can talk it through with you and decide what you need to do next.
I've been a SENCo and know that you will get help. You've coped because you are bright but this 'coping' is preventing you doing even better.

PLEASE go and see a doctor :smile:

I guess what's holding me back is that it might just be in my head and I'm being a nuisance. But I will
He needs a MEDICAL diagnosis for ADHD - a psych may not even be involved,
That’s what I’ve been saying from the beginning.
I’ve been through it. The most reliable picture comes from everyone involved
I knew my son was amazingly unique from about six months. The hardest part is getting health professionals to see it!
(edited 4 years ago)
*If you are going to reply, please read the whole thing it is quite important you know the full context*

Basically, I've done a lot of research into symptoms and behaviours and think I have ADHD. Since the beginning of primary school, I was unable to focus on a task for very long without being distracted easily and therefore distracting others. This was a common theme throughout my time at primary school, and was reported to my parents on multiple occassions, especially at parent's evenings. I was generally disruptive and awful with homework, which followed me into the beginning of secondary school. In year 7, I had the exact same experiences in class, but worse because I hadn't really experienced the concept of homework until then. I even got put on academic monitoring because I failed to hand homework in more often than not.

Having spoken to a friend with ADHD, I seriously think I might have it. I've done online tests and quizzes which aren't official, but I get the same answers back every time, saying that I should probably get checked. I have considered talking to my school about it, because even as an A-level student now, my behaviours haven't changed much (low-level disruption, easily distracted, socially awkward, no filter, impulsive, failing to hand homework in on time/forgetfulness).

I'm surprised that even in primary school, it was't picked up, but then again, if it was, I'm not surprised if my parents didn't follow it up. They are the kind of parents who don't want me to be labelled and even though my mother is a primary school teacher, she might just think I'm trying to self-label or find an excuse for my behaviour. Also, if I do get tested and don't have it, it would be really embarrassing to have wasted everyone's time and it might seem like I was just attention seeking, but I do really think I might have it, even my friends have seriously said so.

How do you get tested for it/know if you have it? I am due a session with my school counsellor soon anyway and might bring it up with her and see what she thinks, and she might bring it up with Learning Support.

Any advice would be helpful, thanks :smile:

D

Hey! I had a very similar experience myself, I spoke to my GP got a referral and went from there. I'm at the last stage of getting a diagnosis now. Don't be worried about wasting anyones time, it's always good to speak about issues and especially to get them sorted before big exams. Even if it isn't ADHD there could be another underlying issue. Definitely speak to your GP :smile:

So if its not an issue, they dont need to know anything right?
So if its not an issue, they dont need to know anything right?

Yes - they might be needed further down the line but no need at this stage.

Quick Reply

Latest