Power and Conflict comparisons

Watch this thread
Bensk1_b3ar
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
For AQA power and conflict poetry, do any of you have a list of which poems to compare to which?
amber.05
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Ozymandias x My Last Duchess
The Charge of the Light Brigade x Bayonet Charge
Remains x Exposure
Poppies x War Photographer
Kamikaze x the Émigrée
Storm on the Island x the Prelude
Checking Out Me History x London
TISSUE x the Émigrée

Watch Mr bruff's youtube videos or Mr Salles the English teacher or Stacey Reay
Hope I've helped

Poem Comparisons - Checking Out Me History x London
Intro: Both ‘Checking Out Me History’ and ‘London’ are based around the power of humans and how its misuse can affect us all negatively. Both Agard and Blake explore the power of those in authoritative roles such as the government. However, in ‘Checking Out Me History’ Agard uses ‘dem’ to reflect his anger about the miseducation of his personal identity. Whereas, Blake explores the effect power has on an emotional and mental aspect.a 1:
Para 1:
Phonetic spelling – “dem” shows Agard refuses to conform to the rules of the English language- forces the reader to acknowledge Agard’s own identity. Going against the Eurocentric view that was imposed on him in Guyana
Lack of punctuation – punctuation is a restriction as we are told we must use it. Agard is refusing to accept the restrictions forced on him by the English language. It would restrict his identity and take away the musicality of the poem

Para 2: Similarly, Blake clearly challenges those in power and what they impose on us
Play on words – “Appal” means to go pale with fear but the churches are going black with soot juxtaposes the two – both shouldn’t be able to exist together if the church was doing their job properly poverty wouldn’t exist. Perhaps Blake is implying that the church exploit those who are less fortunate (liked bible but not organised religion)
Metaphor – “Hapless soldier’s sigh/ Runs in blood down palace walls” – the unhappiness of the British soldiers’ could lead to something like the French Revolution possibly implying an uprising should happen against those in power

Para 3:
Metaphor – “Bandage up me eye” – metaphors of vision and blindness which is ironic as bandages are used in aid in healing but in this case its used to hide history. Those who wrap the bandages shape our individual identities and understating of ourselves coupled with BROKEN SYNTAX – draws attention to this point
Italicisation – of Black history makes them stand out - no rhyme scheme shows no one controls them or their history – suggests that black historical figures are more important than non-fictional white figures which would be contradictory as that was what the British did
Alternatively he uses enjambment continuously to show his uncontrollable emotion and to force the reader to combine the historical figures as history should have done

Para 4: Agard uses form to show he’s out passed the injustice Blake uses it to show it’s inescapable
Iambic tetrameter – repetitive inescapable life people in London have
Cyclical Structure – “marriage hearse” it’s like the cycle of life it repeats and is cyclical

Conclusion:
Agard’s poem ends with the narrator ‘carving me own identity’ whereas London accepts that it is cyclical and apart of life which is inescapable which is why Blake left London in later life.

BTW this is not from me its from a different site. But this is really helpful because its has helped me. I hope this helps you. GOOD LUCK
Bensk1_b3ar
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by amber.05)
Ozymandias x My Last Duchess
The Charge of the Light Brigade x Bayonet Charge
Remains x Exposure
Poppies x War Photographer
Kamikaze x the Émigrée
Storm on the Island x the Prelude
Checking Out Me History x London
TISSUE x the Émigrée

Watch Mr bruff's youtube videos or Mr Salles the English teacher or Stacey Reay
Hope I've helped

Poem Comparisons - Checking Out Me History x London
Intro: Both ‘Checking Out Me History’ and ‘London’ are based around the power of humans and how its misuse can affect us all negatively. Both Agard and Blake explore the power of those in authoritative roles such as the government. However, in ‘Checking Out Me History’ Agard uses ‘dem’ to reflect his anger about the miseducation of his personal identity. Whereas, Blake explores the effect power has on an emotional and mental aspect.a 1:
Para 1:
Phonetic spelling – “dem” shows Agard refuses to conform to the rules of the English language- forces the reader to acknowledge Agard’s own identity. Going against the Eurocentric view that was imposed on him in Guyana
Lack of punctuation – punctuation is a restriction as we are told we must use it. Agard is refusing to accept the restrictions forced on him by the English language. It would restrict his identity and take away the musicality of the poem

Para 2: Similarly, Blake clearly challenges those in power and what they impose on us
Play on words – “Appal” means to go pale with fear but the churches are going black with soot juxtaposes the two – both shouldn’t be able to exist together if the church was doing their job properly poverty wouldn’t exist. Perhaps Blake is implying that the church exploit those who are less fortunate (liked bible but not organised religion)
Metaphor – “Hapless soldier’s sigh/ Runs in blood down palace walls” – the unhappiness of the British soldiers’ could lead to something like the French Revolution possibly implying an uprising should happen against those in power

Para 3:
Metaphor – “Bandage up me eye” – metaphors of vision and blindness which is ironic as bandages are used in aid in healing but in this case its used to hide history. Those who wrap the bandages shape our individual identities and understating of ourselves coupled with BROKEN SYNTAX – draws attention to this point
Italicisation – of Black history makes them stand out - no rhyme scheme shows no one controls them or their history – suggests that black historical figures are more important than non-fictional white figures which would be contradictory as that was what the British did
Alternatively he uses enjambment continuously to show his uncontrollable emotion and to force the reader to combine the historical figures as history should have done

Para 4: Agard uses form to show he’s out passed the injustice Blake uses it to show it’s inescapable
Iambic tetrameter – repetitive inescapable life people in London have
Cyclical Structure – “marriage hearse” it’s like the cycle of life it repeats and is cyclical

Conclusion:
Agard’s poem ends with the narrator ‘carving me own identity’ whereas London accepts that it is cyclical and apart of life which is inescapable which is why Blake left London in later life.

BTW this is not from me its from a different site. But this is really helpful because its has helped me. I hope this helps you. GOOD LUCK
Life saver , my English mock is wednesday.
Xxsophj
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Thank you
amber.05
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Anytime. I would love to always help anyone
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
26.92%
As I expected (24)
30.77%
Harder (29)
37.18%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
5.13%

Watched Threads