I got all 7-9's at GCSE. Ask me anything!

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
mistyflora
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Okay I don't mean for the title to seem like I'm a show off but I just want to help lol
Zoqua
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by mistyflora)
Okay I don't mean for the title to seem like I'm a show off but I just want to help lol
I also got all 7-9s at GCSE (although I was disappointed as I was aiming for all 9s). What grades did you get? What A levels are you studying? What do you want to do in the future?
username4218074
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
mistyflora
Rep:
(Original post by Zoqua)
I also got all 7-9s at GCSE (although I was disappointed as I was aiming for all 9s). What grades did you get? What A levels are you studying? What do you want to do in the future?
I got 4 9's in Geography, Biology, RE and English literature (never had a 9 in RE or English before), then 8's in Chemistry, Physics, Art and English Language and finally 7's in Maths and German. I'm in Year 12 and currently doing Biology, Geography and Physics at A-level. To be fair, I'm not sure what I want to do in the future, I think I want to go to university and do something to do with geography (probably environment based) but I'm also interested in space but I don't do maths so it would be hard to go to uni for physics. What about you?
Ineedtostudy4002
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
How did u revise maths and English literature? Any resources I'm really struggling also what we're ur mock results like
mistyflora
Rep:
(Original post by basedmoonman)
9777777?
username4218074
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Ineedtostudy4002)
How did u revise maths and English literature? Any resources I'm really struggling also what we're ur mock results like
I didn't do anything for maths and got an 8, if you do loads of practice questions you can easily get to a 9 i reckon, english literature I got an 8 in mocks and a 9 in the real thing, I didn't read any of the books myself but used Seneca to memorise key themes and PEE points.
Zoqua
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I got 4 9's in Geography, Biology, RE and English literature (never had a 9 in RE or English before), then 8's in Chemistry, Physics, Art and English Language and finally 7's in Maths and German. I'm in Year 12 and currently doing Biology, Geography and Physics at A-level. To be fair, I'm not sure what I want to do in the future, I think I want to go to university and do something to do with geography (probably environment based) but I'm also interested in space but I don't do maths so it would be hard to go to uni for physics. What about you?
I got 6 9s (Maths, Physics, Biology, Chemistry, Geography, History), 1 8 (English Literature, I was 2 marks off a 9 as well), 2 7s (English Language which I totally messed up in, and French because I sucked at it), and an A in Addmaths (Which was actually my best exam, I got 98%). I'm studying Maths, Further Maths, Physics & Economics at A level (aiming for 4 A*s), alongside an EPQ, and want to do Economics at university (probably Cambridge or LSE). Good luck with your future ambitions
username4218074
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Zoqua)
I got 6 9s (Maths, Physics, Biology, Chemistry, Geography, History), 1 8 (English Literature, I was 2 marks off a 9 as well), 2 7s (English Language which I totally messed up in, and French because I sucked at it), and an A in Addmaths (Which was actually my best exam, I got 98%). I'm studying Maths, Further Maths, Physics & Economics at A level (aiming for 4 A*s), alongside an EPQ, and want to do Economics at university (probably Cambridge or LSE). Good luck with your future ambitions
It's a shame admaths isn't a GCSE qualification but further maths is, atleast you get it on your UCAS application and it looks like an extra thing you did to show you like maths, good luck
mistyflora
Rep:
How did u revise maths and English literature? Any resources I'm really struggling also what we're ur mock results
My year 10 mocks were mostly 5 - 7's I think and year 11 mocks were 6 - 8's (with one 9 in biology). For maths I did practise questions and papers and marked them myself and made sure I understood how to do things by using the CGP book. For English Literature I looked at the mark scheme for my exam board to see what they wanted to get top marks, and wrote down some key quotes that I could use to analyse with most themes that could come up but made sure they were more unusual/obscure ones. The night before the exam I watched some Mr Bruff videos on youtube so I knew the exam technique.

I just want to add that mock results don't mean the world, there's plenty of time to change and it's better to make mistakes earlier than in the actual exam!
Last edited by mistyflora; 2 years ago
mistyflora
Rep:
(Original post by Zoqua)
That's so good! You too
Zoqua
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I'm not the OP (but I also got all 7's-9's at GCSE). I got the highest in my school in Maths (225/240, 9), mainly by answering lots of practice questions on websites like mathsmadeeasy & revisely, and I also used the AQA CGP 8-9 targeted workbook to practice the harder questions, as well as a ton of past papers. I didn't do as well as I wanted to in English Literature (2 marks off a 9), but I mainly revised it by learning quotes and just practicing writing essays and learning core themes.

My mock results were actually better than my GCSEs (I got 7 9s, 1 8 and 1 7), but my predicted grades were 4 9s (Maths & Sciences), 8s in English and humanities, and 7 in French (because those departments refused to predict 9s because my school was weird). Generally if you want lots of 9s at GCSE you should be getting lots of 8s if not 9s in the mocks (but of course this doesn't always apply). Good luck
riyhan.ali
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
what did you write about the hartop english language paper q 1 to 4 tell me everything
20th Century prose-fiction
The Mill by H E Bates
An extract from the beginning of a short story, published in 1935.
Last edited by riyhan.ali; 2 years ago
dyn
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
How did you get an 8 IN ART that's literally like the most time consuming + difficult subject?!!!
lucyymo
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
hey could you give me geography advice?? its the subject i struggle wit the most, especially timing and exam technique. what exam board did you use? thanks !
hafsahhafsah
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
How has the writer structured the text to interest you as a reader? its on hartops family what do i write please help
muzalfah_naz
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by hafsahhafsah)
How has the writer structured the text to interest you as a reader? its on hartops family what do i write please help
thats the exact question i have
h1miah
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
How many marks would this be out of 9?

choose either an earthquake or a volcanic eruption. Assess the extent to which primary effects are more significant than secondary effects. (9 marks)

The Haiti earthquake had a magnitude of 7.0. This was very devastating as the energy released from the tension between plate margins caused a massive effect in Port au Prince.
Due to As Haiti being LEDC (the quality of their infrastructure is of low quality and quite cheap thus most likely not being earthquake proof) the effects were greater. Primary effects of the earthquake included 220,000 people killed due to collapsing buildings and bridges and further 300,000 people injured. 1.3 million people were made homeless as 100,000 homes of the buildings were destroyed and further 200,000 homes were damaged and were not possible to live in. in addition 30,000 other buildings and 60% of government buildings were badly damaged and destroyed. This included hospitals therefore treating injured people was difficult. Moreover, the main prisons were destroyed, causing over 4,000 inmates to escape, which caused a massive problem for the law enforcement.
Secondary effects of the earthquake included to 2 million people being left without the necessities like food and water, this is because getting supplies into the Haiti was difficult as the main port was damaged, and the airports were not safe to operate. Also, the poor management of the situation caused delays in people receiving help. In addition, 1 in 5 people lost their job because so many buildings were destroyed, and Haiti’s largest industry of clothing was one of the worst affected. This meant the country economy suffered greatly and taxes paid were reduced leading to the government having less money to invest into rebuilding the country. Moreover, many people had to move into temporary shelters, which meaned lots of people were craped leading to poor sanitation and health. Lastly due to the high number of deaths, many bodies were piled onto streets which meant diseases especially cholera became a serious problem, and by November 2010 there were cholera outbreaks.
In conclusion I believe primary effects to a big extent were more significant than secondary effects as most of the damages and death was caused due to the earthquake.
X
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (13)
36.11%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (16)
44.44%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (7)
19.44%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (0)
0%

Watched Threads