B1541 - Food Poverty Reduction Bill 2019 Watch

This discussion is closed.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
B1541 - Food Poverty Reduction Bill 2019, Jammy Duel MP

A Bill to all but eliminate food poverty in the UK via the abolition of food banks, a scourge on the country according to leftist rhetoric

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1. Definitions
(1) Food Parcel shall be defined as "a small collection of basic items of food for distribution to those in need."

2. Elimination of food poverty
(1) It shall be an offence to distribute food parcels
(2) The penalty for breaching S. 2(1) shall be:
(a) and unlimited fine;
(b) not more than 10 years imprisonment

3. Commencement, Extent and Short Title
(1) This Act extends to the whole of the United Kingdom.
(2) The provisions of this Act come into force on upon attaining Royal Asent.
(3) This Act may be referred to as the Food Poverty Reduction Act 2019.

Notes
Over recent years food bank awareness has increased drastically which has lead to large increases in donations, indeed the Trussel Trust reported a 19% increase in donations in 2018-19. While I, and many others, welcome this increase in charity there are many that do not, for some this increased charity is a bad thing, food bank usage is a bad thing, indeed Labour in their 2019 manifesto have pledged to halve food bank usage in 1 year and completely end it in 3. For a problem as serious as this 3 years seems such a long time to wait, if it is a disgrace that there are people donating to food banks, and people using food banks, clearly the only solution is to ban then and reduce food bank usage to zero.
The Mogg
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I feel I could get on board with this bill, but what are the alternatives to those who are dependant on food banks if they are banned completely?
username1539513
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
How does abolishing food banks end food poverty? If anything it seems counterintuitive as it will do nothing to solve the underlying problems of why people use them in the first place
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
No idea, but the increased donations are leading to increased usage which is apparently a problem, banning food banks is the simplest way to reduce usage and deal with this supposed problem
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by The Mogg)
I feel I could get on board with this bill, but what are the alternatives to those who are dependant on food banks if they are banned completely?
IDK, ask Jezza
username1539513
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
No idea, but the increased donations are leading to increased usage which is apparently a problem, banning food banks is the simplest way to reduce usage and deal with this supposed problem
I would like the proposer to explain how banning food banks without solving the underlying societal issues is beneficial or even in any way a good idea
The Mogg
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
IDK, ask Jezza
Fair enough. Wanting to eliminate something without any suitable alternative, the Labour way. But that's irrelevant because we'll get free wifi :nyan:
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I haven't a clue, just like those who see increased charity as a bad thing don't. The fact remains that there are many on the left who see food bank usage as a bad thing but refuse to do anything about it, I'm merely offering the opportunity for them to eliminate food bank usage once and for all
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Is the proposer being deliberately dull, or can't he help it?
LiberOfLondon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by The Mogg)
Fair enough. Wanting to eliminate something without any suitable alternative, the Labour way. But that's irrelevant because we'll get free wifi :nyan:

Jeznet - for a 21st Century Britain*

*except for capitalistic gammon Tory running dogs who can go to Gulag
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Nay
Mr T 999
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Let's see how many labour members oppose this giving its on the Labour 2019 manifesto and corybn plans on ending food banks.
Mr T 999
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Ask your man Corbyn it's his dumb idea to phase out food banks.
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
An amusing way to make a point, well done sir.
Christiantaylor
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
B1541 - Food Poverty Reduction Bill 2019, Jammy Duel MP

A Bill to all but eliminate food poverty in the UK via the abolition of food banks, a scourge on the country according to leftist rhetoric

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—
[field defaultattr=]
1. Definitions
(1) Food Parcel shall be defined as "a small collection of basic items of food for distribution to those in need."

2. Elimination of food poverty
(1) It shall be an offence to distribute food parcels
(2) The penalty for breaching S. 2(1) shall be:
(a) and unlimited fine;
(b) not more than 10 years imprisonment

3. Commencement, Extent and Short Title
(1) This Act extends to the whole of the United Kingdom.
(2) The provisions of this Act come into force on upon attaining Royal Asent.
(3) This Act may be referred to as the Food Poverty Reduction Act 2019.

Notes
Over recent years food bank awareness has increased drastically which has lead to large increases in donations, indeed the Trussel Trust reported a 19% increase in donations in 2018-19. While I, and many others, welcome this increase in charity there are many that do not, for some this increased charity is a bad thing, food bank usage is a bad thing, indeed Labour in their 2019 manifesto have pledged to halve food bank usage in 1 year and completely end it in 3. For a problem as serious as this 3 years seems such a long time to wait, if it is a disgrace that there are people donating to food banks, and people using food banks, clearly the only solution is to ban then and reduce food bank usage to zero.[/field]
I am so confused, how could this possibly end food poverty, isn't this making it worse by taking away food banks? Wha???? Hello, where's the common sense or am I missing something..
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Christiantaylor)
I am so confused, how could this possibly end food poverty, isn't this making it worse by taking away food banks? Wha???? Hello, where's the common sense or am I missing something..
This bill has been made ironically I believe, in order to prevent the criticism that food bank usage is increasing. It's a good thing that people are able to use food banks where they cannot pay for food themselves.
Christiantaylor
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by CatusStarbright)
This bill has been made ironically I believe, in order to prevent the criticism that food bank usage is increasing. It's a good thing that people are able to use food banks where they cannot pay for food themselves.
This is disgusting from the tories... None of this will make it to mainstream news or the front page probably, but this is terrible from the government.
LiberOfLondon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
This is disgusting from the tories... None of this will make it to mainstream news or the front page probably, but this is terrible from the government.
1) It's satire
2) It's not a government bill, the Labour Party in coalitions with the Liberals and barnetlad are the government. The Tories are HM Opposition and the Libertarians (of which the proposer is a member of) are the third party. We did have the Anti-Federalist League which turned into UKIP which became the National Conservatives, but they were a bit too anti-Muslim/”ban the burka” for most people and dissolved due to lack of members.
Mr T 999
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
It's not a tory idea its actually Labour's. Its mentioned on their 2019 manifesto, you should aim your disgust at corybn.
Mr T 999
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by LiberOfLondon)
1) It's satire
2) It's not a government bill, the Labour Party in coalitions with the Liberals and barnetlad are the government. The Tories are HM Opposition and the Libertarians (of which the proposer is a member of) are the third party. We did have the Anti-Federalist League which turned into UKIP which became the National Conservatives, but they were a bit too anti-Muslim/”ban the burka” for most people and dissolved due to lack of members.
Erm your history is wrong. UKIP were known as patriotic Conservative before rebranding as UKIP then again rebranding to national Conservative. The AFL was never actually a party it was more of a idea for a party it fail to start as it was too similar to Nat cons.
Nat cons were not "anti Muslim" it dissolved due to a lack of members.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (185)
67.52%
No (89)
32.48%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise