The Student Room Group

Rejection from Oxford (Law) .- pre interview

Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum, and even though I currently work in HE I am writing in relation to my daughter.
She has recently applied (early entry) to study Law at either Oxford, Durham, Kings, UCL, or Nottingham from 2020-2021. She has luckily received an offer from Durham, about a week after her UCAS application mid- October. However she found out about 5 days ago that she has not been called for interview to Oxford. She is predicted 3 A*s for her A level results - English Lit, History, Politics. She also completed an EPQ last year where she was awarded an A* but was dragged down to a B in external moderation (she was not part of the sample that was moderated, or remoderated.). She also completed her LNAT and was relatively happy with it, although has not yet received the result. She is yet to hear from UCL, Kings, or Nottingham. My daughter is very upset and is trying to come to terms with this news. Does anyone have any advice? Thank you for your time.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What were her GCSEs like?
Reply 2
4 9s, 3 8s, 2 7s, 1 6 (Psychology)
Reply 3
9s - Latin, English Lit, English Lang, History, 8s - French, Science (combined), 7s - Maths, RE, 6s - Psychology
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
You can request for feedback from Oxford in the new year, but there isn’t much you can do. Acknowledge that Oxford value GCSEs a lot in their shortlist, and as law is very competitive, lots of candidates will have all 8s and 9s / A* at GCSE that are called to interview, and Oxford interview a lot less people then Cambridge. I’m sure she’ll be happy elsewhere, it may take a little while to overcome the initial sadness, but one simply can’t think of Oxford as “everything” or “my only dream” as rejection is more common than success.
One of the harsh realities is that Oxford receive many applications of a standard as high as your daughter’s and somehow they have to choose between them, which can come down to all sorts of factors. It may be worth emailing the college to see if they offer some form of feedback at this stage?

In terms of helping your daughter, she needs to remember that she has an incredibly strong application and must be proud of herself for that. To have already got an offer from Durham is great news and reflects the strength of her application. She still has the other universities to hear from which will hopefully be good news. Plus, she can now use that rejection as motivation to get those predicted grades, and then either attend one of her other great unis or reapply to Oxford next year.

As I say, it’s understandable to be disappointed, but sadly the completion is fierce and not everyone can get through. Allow her time to be sad, but then she needs to use this as motivation to push her through and prove to them that they made a mistake! Best of luck :smile:
Honestly part of the selection process for places like oxford seems to be luck, or at least something that those of us outside of the admissions process aren’t aware of. Just remind her that the rejection does not reflect her intelligence or skill and places like Durham are also impressive and she may enjoy studying there more. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 7
Thanks so much for your replies - I really appreciate it xx I have been concerned that her EPQ mark may have dragged her down - although it was literally beyond her control - but I guess it may have been her GCSE results? She received an offer from Durham very quickly, and it is a lowered offer, so I think it gave her hope that her application would be read favourably across all her 5 choicest. Is there a big difference between Durham and Oxford Law entry requirements (aside from the interview process)?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 8
Hoping that she receives an offer soon from KCL and UCL...
Reply 9
Original post by LakeComo88
Hoping that she receives an offer soon from KCL and UCL...

Law at the top-end universities is very difficult to get into.
Sometimes you need a bit of luck.
Durham is a top tier university anyway so you should be pleased.

Also, did your daughter take an LNAT?
Thing is that with law, there isnt that high of a demand. So you really need the Tier 1 universities to get into law. Durham is still pretty good though.
I'm saying you can get a decent job with STEM subjects even if you go to not that good unis, since there is a demand and all you need is some good experience. With Law, it is a lot different since the demand is lower.
Reply 12
Yes- I think she is relieved to have heard so quickly from Durham - and a lowered offer which is favourable. She did do the LNAT mid October , found it hard, but was relatively pleased with how it went. She can’t access the result until Feb2020 though:frown: -I think she felt that if her LNAT was awful she wouldn’t have received an offer from Durham, so she is gradually trying to sort this whole thing out in her head. She really loved Kings too, so we wait to hear....Oxford was her preferred choice. She applied to Magdalen College, which was ambitious but may have been a bad move, in hindsight.....
Reply 13
My take is that she is upset now, but she is very practical by nature and will process this in good time. Despite her upset she is handling things very well, I am proud of her.
Statistically speaking, the rate at which students graduate with a law degree is higher than the rate at which the number law-related jobs is increasing. All I'm saying is, you have a far better chance at high-reputation universities, more so than some subjects other than Law.
Original post by LakeComo88
Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum, and even though I currently work in HE I am writing in relation to my daughter.
She has recently applied (early entry) to study Law at either Oxford, Durham, Kings, UCL, or Nottingham from 2020-2021. She has luckily received an offer from Durham, about a week after her UCAS application mid- October. However she found out about 5 days ago that she has not been called for interview to Oxford. She is predicted 3 A*s for her A level results - English Lit, History, Politics. She also completed an EPQ last year where she was awarded an A* but was dragged down to a B in external moderation (she was not part of the sample that was moderated, or remoderated.). She also completed her LNAT and was relatively happy with it, although has not yet received the result. She is yet to hear from UCL, Kings, or Nottingham. My daughter is very upset and is trying to come to terms with this news. Does anyone have any advice? Thank you for your time.

Hi another Mum here.Oxford are big on GCSE's and only interview 1/3 candidates and will reject a further 2 out of 3 after interview so applying at all is taking a big gamble really.Your daughter has a great offer from Durham and will more than likely will get several others to choose from.I am sure once she has time to process things she will move on and concentrate on those other offers.The trouble is Oxford requires applicants to get really invested at every stage but most applicants will be disappointed like your daughter.There are plenty of good unis where she can be very happy and get her law degree and it is your job to encourage her in this way of thinking.I am sure you are very proud of her for even getting to a position where she could apply so tell her this but also start talking up Durham and make sure she has visited all of her unis before making her final choices.I do sympathise as it is disappointing but certainly not at all the end of the world.
Reply 16
She is passionate about the study and application of law, so I know she will thrive wherever she goes. She was hoping for her first choice, but is also grateful for the offer she has had so far. Law is inevitably competitive, so I guess she has done very well to get this far ...
Rejection is something that will happen to us all at some point in life. This is probably your daughter's first taste of rejection and that is really really difficult. A rejection from Oxford doesn't define her as a person and she will do incredibly wherever she goes. Rejections are just a sucky part of life that happens sometimes so that we can grow as people. She should be really proud of herself for Durham and I'm sure she'll get some other incredible offers.

Take her out for some nice dinner or treat her to a little something - sounds like she deserves it :smile:

Good luck to your daughter in anything that she pursues!!
Reply 18
We have visited all her other choices (KCL, UCL, Nottingham) and, after Oxford and Durham, she favours KCL. I am very proud of her and agree, missing out on Oxbridge this round is not the end of the world - perhaps a blip but nothing that can’t be worked through and conquered ....she is tenacious - but will need to be if studying law!!!
Reply 19
Original post by TheGummyBear
Rejection is something that will happen to us all at some point in life. This is probably your daughter's first taste of rejection and that is really really difficult. A rejection from Oxford doesn't define her as a person and she will do incredibly wherever she goes. Rejections are just a sucky part of life that happens sometimes so that we can grow as people. She should be really proud of herself for Durham and I'm sure she'll get some other incredible offers.

Take her out for some nice dinner or treat her to a little something - sounds like she deserves it :smile:

Good luck to your daughter in anything that she pursues!!

That is so kind, and very true - thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending