Alayna1234
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I’m Kurdish, but I was born in Turkey and moved to England when I was 5, I speak Kurdish Pretty fluently as well as Turkish.

City uni doesn’t accept Native language, if I did Turkish a level does that count as a native language?
DoNotMove
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Alayna1234)
So I’m Kurdish, but I was born in Turkey and moved to England when I was 5, I speak Kurdish Pretty fluently as well as Turkish.

City uni doesn’t accept Native language, if I did Turkish a level does that count as a native language?
you can email them to ask, but from my experience, it will be. I am half Singaporean and my mother speaks mandarin, and both English and mandarin are considered my native language for some reason, despite the fact my mandarin is awful. I was born and brought up in England and comparing my England language skills to those in Mandarin would be ludicrous. so I expect you'll have similar issues.
Alayna1234
Rep:
?
(Original post by DoNotMove)
you can email them to ask, but from my experience, it will be. I am half Singaporean and my mother speaks mandarin, and both English and mandarin are considered my native language for some reason, despite the fact my mandarin is awful. I was born and brought up in England and comparing my England language skills to those in Mandarin would be ludicrous. so I expect you'll have similar issues.
I will in the morning. In order for something to be native wouldn’t it have to be part of your ethnicity too? Like is your mother Chinese for example?
DoNotMove
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I will in the morning. In order for something to be native wouldn’t it have to be part of your ethnicity too? Like is your mother Chinese for example?
yes, my mother is ethnically half Malaysian half Chinese, meaning I am a quarter Malaysian, quarter Chinese, and half British
Alayna1234
Rep:
?
yes, my mother is ethnically half Malaysian half Chinese, meaning I am a quarter Malaysian, quarter Chinese, and half British
On my school records, my ethnicity was put down as Kurdish and just that.

City says that, if you want to dispute the native part, they would need your school to write a letter.

So in my case??? Could this be one way of sorting this?
DoNotMove
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
On my school records, my ethnicity was put down as Kurdish and just that.

City says that, if you want to dispute the native part, they would need your school to write a letter.

So in my case??? Could this be one way of sorting this?
get your school to write in and say the language you use the most is English, despite your ethnicity. ethnicity doesn't really effect anything tbh - I know people who have both parents Chinese but cannot speak mandarin or Cantonese
Alayna1234
Rep:
?
get your school to write in and say the language you use the most is English, despite your ethnicity. ethnicity doesn't really effect anything tbh - I know people who have both parents Chinese but cannot speak mandarin or Cantonese
Yeah, English is my most fluent language. I will talk to my school about it once I contact city.

Thank you for the help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (98)
13.03%
1 (94)
12.5%
2 (94)
12.5%
19.28%
22.61%
20.08%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise