The Student Room Group

Biology

Q1, Identify and describe the unique processes in meiosis that are not present in mitosis.
Q2, Describe the stages of mitosis and the important processes that happen in each stage.
Can any help me out on what to write for these questions please
I will be great full for any help
Thank you
Reply 1
I'm not sure about the exacts but...
Q1. Chaismata- The crossing over of the chromosomes to exchange genes for genetic variation.
Q2. The stages are prophase in which the nucleolus disappears and the chromatin condenses. Metaphase in which the chromosomes are aligned using spindle fibres which pull them to the metaphase plate. Anaphase in which the chromatids separate towards opposite poles. Telophase in which new nuclear envelopes are formed and chromosomes fold back into chromatin and spindle fibres disappear. Cytokinesis in which the daughter cells are produced using identical genetic info and then divide.
Hope that was helpful.👍😁
Original post by Kira.03
I'm not sure about the exacts but...
Q1. Chaismata- The crossing over of the chromosomes to exchange genes for genetic variation.
Q2. The stages are prophase in which the nucleolus disappears and the chromatin condenses. Metaphase in which the chromosomes are aligned using spindle fibres which pull them to the metaphase plate. Anaphase in which the chromatids separate towards opposite poles. Telophase in which new nuclear envelopes are formed and chromosomes fold back into chromatin and spindle fibres disappear. Cytokinesis in which the daughter cells are produced using identical genetic info and then divide.
Hope that was helpful.👍😁

That’s brilliant thank you so much for your help.
Q1 - extra points:

a) Two divisions - Meiosis I and Meiosis II
b) Halving of chromosome number in Meiosis I from diploid number to haploid number (due to separation of whole chromosomes RATHER THAN chromatids).
c) Independent assortment of homologous chromosomes in anaphase I
d) Four daughter cells produced (gametes) (two in mitosis)

Q2. Very good description by Kira.*

M

Quick Reply

Latest