How to go from 4’s to 7’s/8’s Watch

Jmd908
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi,

I am currently around 6 months until I take my GCSE’s.

We have just done our mocks and I got 3’s and 4’s in most things, and I am aiming to get 7’s and 8’s in GCSE.

I did not really put any work in at all for mocks and up until the start of year 11 I never really payed much attention in school.

I understand this is very hard and I am going to have to work relentlessly to achieve 7’s and 8’s.

What are the best ways to revise and get much better grades quickly!?
What are some of the best revision techniques?

These are the subjects I study-

Maths
English
Combined foundation science
History
Business
French
Spanish

Thank you! Any help appreciated!
Jmd908
Rep:
?
Bump
Bashir_GCSE
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Jmd908)
Hi,

We have just done our mocks and I got 3’s and 4’s in most things, and I am aiming to get 7’s and 8’s in GCSE.

I did not really put any work in at all for mocks and up until the start of year 11 I never really payed much attention in school.

I understand this is very hard and I am going to have to work relentlessly to achieve 7’s and 8’s.

Maths
English
History
Business
French
Spanish

In my October Mocks I got mostly 6s and 7s. I want 8s and 9s though. I recommend for Maths watch YouTube videos and Past Papers. For Sciences I am using Free Science Lessons on YouTube and past papers on AQA. For History and Business I just read over my books and I practice Questions to improve my speed and accuracy and that is usually enough to get a good grade. For English I use Mr Bruff. He is a real life saver. Good Luck Mate .
HarryPetes
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
have faith
HarryPetes
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I was on 6s and went to 9s
JustAWxnderer
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Going from 4s to 7s is difficult but is certainly possible with a lot of work.

You need to have structured revision starting now.

For maths I'd recommend doing lots of past papers. If there's any topics you don't understand make sure you learn it and practice it more.

For English language you should do past papers too. Practice analysing texts quickly

For language you should start memorising quotes now. Also making good notes about all of the literature that your studying. Personally my notes consisted of 3-5 in depth points (at least one of the original) about all of the key characters, key themes, and key plot points. Then I wrote an essay about a particular character or theme or plot point.

For history there's a lot of memorisation. I used flashcards for this. Also detailed mind maps and timelines. And some past papers of course.

I didn't do business so I can't help you there

For French make sure you practice speaking and listening. For me these were the hardest part. In the listening higher they spoke a lot faster than I was used to my teacher speaking. Also use something like quizlet to learn all of the vocab. Also learn the tenses and useful sentence structures.

I didn't do Spanish but it's a language so probably revise in a similar way to French.

Also very importantly this is what I did. It worked for me but that doesn't mean it will work for you. I hope it does help you but if it doesn't try to find something that does. The most important thing is to find what works for you.
Jmd908
Rep:
?
Thank you very much!
Incede
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi,

Maths
English
History
Business
French
Spanish

You will have to convince your teachers to get you onto the higher exams because the max you can get on foundation is 5.
For your languages learn vocab every day until you know most of the vocab on your specification. For maths learn the formulas and methods then keep doing past papers and specimen papers and you should aim to get a higher score each time, focus on your mistakes from each paper and make sure you do not repeat them. English will be hard to go straight from a 4 to 7/8 as you have to develop a god writing style which takes time so try to improve your exam technique ASAP. Keep working hard and remember it's only a few months of hard work for these grades then you get that long summer!
elontusk123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
hey, in the beginning of yr11 I was quite an average student and got grades such as 5's, I ended up coming out with 7's and 8's. my advice is to just put your head down and get on with the work which I know is quite cliche and annoying but you only get this opportunity once. for me creating mind maps was the best form of revision, I like having all my content on 1 sheet of paper rather than dealing with thick textbooks and tons of sheets. for maths I just did past papers. I would literally do 3 past papers a day. english language again is a subject you cant really revise for but you can practise questions. also make all your revision material wayyy before an exam because you wont stress days before, all you have to do is read your revision things you made.
5hyl33n
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I got a grade 8 in English Lit. PM for any help or quote me on this thread for any advice

I will also be happy to read your essays and tell you how to improve.
heaue
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by 5hyl33n)
I got a grade 8 in English Lit. PM for any help or quote me on this thread for any advice

I will also be happy to read your essays and tell you how to improve.
omg woah well done!! i got my GCSES coming up and ive been stuck on a 6 for english since year 10, i just dont know how to revise! do u have any tips??
yourmuddagyal
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by heaue)
omg woah well done!! i got my GCSES coming up and ive been stuck on a 6 for english since year 10, i just dont know how to revise! do u have any tips??
oh my gosh same
stress-eating
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I got all 9s and A*s for GCSE and this is how I did it (bear in mind I started out with 6s in my weaker subjects)
1. Started out by making detailed notes on all my subjects from the text book and other resources. This only works if you write out the notes in your own words. Copying notes out blindly won't teach you anything, but if you force yourself to phrase it in a different way (unless it's a definition in which case it should be very similar to textbook) you will remember it better. I used colours to emphasise key points- the act of deciding the most important points in a set of notes should help you learn them. PRINT OFF THE SPECIFICATIONS for all your subjects and tick off as you revise.
2. Then I condensed the notes on specific topics (probs would work best for language grammar, and history) into flashcards the size of 1/3 of an A4 sheet. I took these around with me everywhere and read them over and over while standing outside the exam hall.
3. Post it notes are your friend! I post it notes with things I didn't remember written on them all around the house- in my room, in the bathroom etc.
4. Identified what I understood but just needed to revise, and what I didn't understand. For things I didn't understand, I asked teachers/watched Khan academy videos. I found it super helpful to teach myself as well as asking for explanations as you learn it better. Just make sure you're learning it right!
5. Learned the hell out of my dates and definitions. Quizlet is great for this. For history specifically I drew out timelines as dates are important!
6. Past papers and questions!!! Did tonnes of these, and anything I didn't understand, put a post it note next to and took it in to show my teachers.
7. Don't just rely on teachers to mark your past papers- read the mark schemes for science. If you read the mark schemes, you will find a pattern of what key words/phrases to include. At GCSE there are always stock phrases to use when answering scientific questions.

If you're going to do all this make sure you time it correctly. There's no point starting past papers a week before your exam!
Last edited by stress-eating; 1 week ago
ohdearstudying
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Also quote me if you need any advice.

I was predicted a 4 in English Literature and got a 7
I got an 8 in English Language.
mrkloppdog
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi,

Maths
English
History
Business
French
Spanish

if you want 7's 8's i suggest you forgot the phone and computer and friends and everything 3's and 4's isnt a bad start what are youre predicted? i suggest for science you watch Free Science Lessons and for maths watch videos on how to answer past papers, the way to pass GCSE's is you could know the answer to a question but if you dont word it how the exam board want you to then you will lose many marks, dont revise the mark scheme but learnt to say answer what the mark scheme is asking so for example, read and do loads of past papers and answer them then when you regularly do them you will understand how to answer questions and what the mark scheme is asking and how to grab all youre marks, youve got this keep focusing on yourself and revise and do a lot of past papers and mark them and revise over what you dont get keep doing it and youre brain will automatically start remebering things let me know how this advice goes for you
mrkloppdog
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ohdearstudying)
Also quote me if you need any advice.

I was predicted a 4 in English Literature and got a 7

I got an 8 in English Language

Woah well done and are Mocs harder than gcse's? because a lot of people have said that but i aint sure
(Original post by JustAWxnderer)
Going from 4s to 7s is difficult but is certainly possible with a lot of work.

You need to have structured revision starting now.

For maths I'd recommend doing lots of past papers. If there's any topics you don't understand make sure you learn it and practice it more.

For English language you should do past papers too. Practice analysing texts quickly

For language you should start memorising quotes now. Also making good notes about all of the literature that your studying. Personally my notes consisted of 3-5 in depth points (at least one of the original) about all of the key characters, key themes, and key plot points. Then I wrote an essay about a particular character or theme or plot point.

For history there's a lot of memorisation. I used flashcards for this. Also detailed mind maps and timelines. And some past papers of course.

I didn't do business so I can't help you there

For French make sure you practice speaking and listening. For me these were the hardest part. In the listening higher they spoke a lot faster than I was used to my teacher speaking. Also use something like quizlet to learn all of the vocab. Also learn the tenses and useful sentence structures.

I didn't do Spanish but it's a language so probably revise in a similar way to French.

Also very importantly this is what I did. It worked for me but that doesn't mean it will work for you. I hope it does help you but if it doesn't try to find something that does. The most important thing is to find what works for you.
can you help me please?
Pro Gamer 2003
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi,

I can help you in this situation. Last year this time I done my mocks but I never achieved 3/4s I achieved 4/5's mostly. However at the end I came out with 7/8's.
There is so much you can do to bolster your grade.

Maths - So much online papers and websites to increase your grade all of its covered in my thread on maths. https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5737444

English - Really you need to practice tonnes of papers and give them to your teacher to find out on your weakness as that'll increase the grade by 1.
Plus you should use Mr Bruff and Mr Salles they pushed me 2 grades above for literture and 3 for Language. Mr Bruff is very useful for Poetry especially the Power & Conflict cluster the one I did. Mr Salles is really useful for Shakespeare and 18th Century. They are both equal in English Language. As Mr Bruff's 5 mins video helped me just before the exam and mr Salles long 1-2 hours video helped me understand all the questions. So I suggest to mix and match.

Combined foundation science - You can potentially get a grade 5-5 maximum. All you need to do is understand the content. Make sure to revise your formula's and practicals. Then do practice questions and then do exam-style questions and then push yourself to do an exam paper. Science is not really hard its all about focusing and revising.

History - I had no teacher sin History last year my teacher fell really unwell at the start of this calender year so we basically had no teachers for History but I acheved a 6. I'd suggest to understand History is to do mindmaps as those little chuncks help to boost your marks. Also use GCSE Pod as it helps your understanding in History. Fun Fact: Once you finished your History lesson after an hour you only remember 44% of everything that lesson so make sure you revise and make mindmaps. History revision was really fun. But the core essential to get a 7 or 8 is your knowledge.

Business - Its really common sense. Just keep dong practice questions and exam papers as they will boost your marks. This was the subject I least revised for during ym mocks I went from a 4 to a 6 and back down to a 5 in the actual GCSE so I was kinda gutted but I was happy to pass.

Languages - Cannot help there unless you revise and remember everything.
1.ra
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi,

Maths
English
History
Business
French
Spanish

Hi, from a former gcse student I suggest you start revising NOW!
It's not about how much time you spend revising, but how effective it is. But that is not to say that you should not revise until last minute. I suggest you revise for 50 minutes and have a 5 minute break.
Make sure you eat well and drink well. Avoid fizzy drinks as it effects your work ethic.
Good luck, the exams are not as hard as you think.
millie.123
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I went from a 4 to a 9 in one of my subjects, and C to A* in another, so it is possible! do as many past questions as you can find, make sure you never leave a lesson confused (always ask the teacher anything you don't understand, if there isn't time to go over it there and then then organise a time to meet). I'd recommend the CGP revision guides, although don't entirely rely on them as they are a condensed version of the syllabus. Watch YouTube revision videos. Work hard, but don't burn yourself out, let yourself have days off every now and then. Good luck!
1st superstar
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi,

Maths
English
History
Business
French
Spanish

you can't get a 7/8 in foundation
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (137)
19.74%
Labour (349)
50.29%
Liberal Democrats (97)
13.98%
Green Party (34)
4.9%
Brexit Party (9)
1.3%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.43%
SNP (14)
2.02%
Plaid Cymru (3)
0.43%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
0.86%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (3)