Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Started university 2 months ago and I hate it here. Everyone in my course is kinda boring (Computer Science) and doesn't really want to go out much. I don't live in halls so it's really hard to meet people who are interesting and meet people outside your course.

I barely have any friends but have loads of acquaintances. I've been clubbing once and only been out with friends twice (like organised a motive). In 2 months. I feel like a loser at this university and I hate all my acquaintances since they don't want to go out and just want to go home after lectures.

I've had nothing to do for the last 2 months. It's sad. I had nothing to do on halloween, on my birthday (except with school friends) and during reading week.

My parents have said it's a rushed decision and I agree, I also don't have anything planned after I drop out and I've spent well over £5000 to be at KCL. However I'm absolutely miserable at university.

I have 3 options really:
1. Drop out of KCL, go home and be with family and friends after the 2 worst months of my life. I've got a part time job already, can go to the gym and explore different universities in my gap year.

2. Leave my accommodation and live with my parents (we live in London). I'm less lonely and I can hang out with my school friends. It's not what I wanted from university or even life but beggars can't be choosey.

3. Stay at KCL, give it a chance and try meet normal, interesting people.

If I leave before the start of the 2nd semester I only pay back 25% of my loan.

I really hate my life at KCL.
Jaiceesay
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I’d go home if it’s making you miserable. No job or education is worth your mental health. You can always go back next year.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Jaiceesay)
I’d go home if it’s making you miserable. No job or education is worth your mental health. You can always go back next year.
Go home and live with parents while commuting to KCL or just drop out?
Jaiceesay
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Go home and live with parents while commuting to KCL or just drop out?
Go home and commute for sure. You can always go back next year to live out.
goldenpoop
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Is it the course you hate? The lectures? If it is only the social aspect of uni then I would say move in with parents.

Also a good tip for making friends, befriend one person you get on well with and ask to hang out and you’ll be introduced to everyone in their friendship group. Before you know it you’ve got a whole interesting outgoing group of friends.

KCL has a huge student union. It’s even part of UoL so you don’t even have to restrict yourself to kcl. There’s no excuse to not join societies or sports clubs and make at least one friend.
steamed-hams
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
you cant quit uni because you dont have friends what kind of excuse is that
Anonymous #1
(Original post by steamed-hams)
you cant quit uni because you dont have friends what kind of excuse is that
Or I can just go to a different university?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by goldenpoop)
Is it the course you hate? The lectures? If it is only the social aspect of uni then I would say move in with parents.

Also a good tip for making friends, befriend one person you get on well with and ask to hang out and you’ll be introduced to everyone in their friendship group. Before you know it you’ve got a whole interesting outgoing group of friends.

KCL has a huge student union. It’s even part of UoL so you don’t even have to restrict yourself to kcl. There’s no excuse to not join societies or sports clubs and make at least one friend.
I have friends but they're all boring and just idek why I'm even friends with them. They just go home after lectures and don't even go out ONCE A WEEK.

Societies are kings are just so inactive and dead (I've asked the second years).

I could easily just drop out of KCL and just go to Durham to reap the benefits of a campus and colliegate university.
goldenpoop
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I have friends but they're all boring and just idek why I'm even friends with them. They just go home after lectures and don't even go out ONCE A WEEK.

Societies are kings are just so inactive and dead (I've asked the second years).

I could easily just drop out of KCL and just go to Durham to reap the benefits of a campus and colliegate university.
Ohh 🦌 Sounds like you just answered your own question then. Hahaaa
Tbh my friend goes to durham and has struggled to make friends too. The problem is universal. Going all the way up north hours away from parents, you will feel even more isolated if you don’t end up with the social life you had in mind. However, durham is a small city and will probably feel more close knit if you make good friends there.
Do you know how to change unis tho? Apparently it’s quite difficult.
Anonymous #1
Ohh 🦌 Sounds like you just answered your own question then. Hahaaa
Tbh my friend goes to durham and has struggled to make friends too. The problem is universal. Going all the way up north hours away from parents, you will feel even more isolated if you don’t end up with the social life you had in mind. However, durham is a small city and will probably feel more close knit if you make good friends there.
Do you know how to change unis tho? Apparently it’s quite difficult.
I'll have to drop out and re-apply for UCAS. It's hard to make interesting friends who actually want to go out.

It's so so sad that these people live in Central London but would rather stay in accommodation all day. The problem is the people in Computer Science, as you can imagine. The difficulty to meet other people is ruining the university experience.
goldenpoop
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I'll have to drop out and re-apply for UCAS. It's hard to make interesting friends who actually want to go out.

It's so so sad that these people live in Central London but would rather stay in accommodation all day. The problem is the people in Computer Science, as you can imagine. The difficulty to meet other people is ruining the university experience.
That is a real shame! I’m on a gap year rn and having so much free time allows me to appreciate london way more. I have a few friends staying in London for uni and we always try and find new places when we hang out as there are so many things we want to see, do and eat.
Also, another thing to consider is student finance, haven’t you already paid for tuition?
Anonymous #1
That is a real shame! I’m on a gap year rn and having so much free time allows me to appreciate london way more. I have a few friends staying in London for uni and we always try and find new places when we hang out as there are so many things we want to see, do and eat.
Also, another thing to consider is student finance, haven’t you already paid for tuition?
Yh I know, it's amazing how many things there is to do in London but unfortunately everyone I know are ****ing sad pieces of **** who just want to study and be in their accommodation all day.

I pay back 25% of my tuition if I leave before the 2nd semester.
goldenpoop
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Yh I know, it's amazing how many things there is to do in London but unfortunately everyone I know are ****ing sad pieces of **** who just want to study and be in their accommodation all day.

I pay back 25% of my tuition if I leave before the 2nd semester.
I guess it’s best to get out of there now then! Good luck x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgrad open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (228)
67.66%
No (109)
32.34%

Watched Threads