The Student Room Group

clonakilty sausages

I ate some of these a couple hours ago and they kinda grossed me out, they were super mushy inside and full of fat. I can’t tell if they were undercooked cause they have Carmine dye in them so the whole sausage was just pink like a hot dog anyway. They were hot and lightly browned on the outside with a couple darker patches but the texture really put me off 🤢 has anyone that’s had them tell me if they’re usually like that??
Original post by Abbie131
I ate some of these a couple hours ago and they kinda grossed me out, they were super mushy inside and full of fat. I can’t tell if they were undercooked cause they have Carmine dye in them so the whole sausage was just pink like a hot dog anyway. They were hot and lightly browned on the outside with a couple darker patches but the texture really put me off 🤢 has anyone that’s had them tell me if they’re usually like that??

Cant tell as never had them. They come in a nice box so not the cheapest. I sometimes split sausages to make sure the inside is cooked.
I did notice they only have 73% pork which is low. Higher meat content normally means you get a rougher texture and you can see the meat.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Cant tell as never had them. They come in a nice box so not the cheapest. I sometimes split sausages to make sure the inside is cooked.
I did notice they only have 73% pork which is low. Higher meat content normally means you get a rougher texture and you can see the meat.

yeah usually we have ones that are in the ~90% range so they always cook right through and you can tell. based on the fact that my dad has never undercooked those I’ll just have to trust that these are fine too haha. You could see the meat inside but it was so soft and just weird. I’ve had sausages like them before but for some reason these just felt a bit icky to me, shame cause they tasted good :frown: they were way too fatty, that might just be it
Original post by Abbie131
yeah usually we have ones that are in the ~90% range so they always cook right through and you can tell. based on the fact that my dad has never undercooked those I’ll just have to trust that these are fine too haha. You could see the meat inside but it was so soft and just weird. I’ve had sausages like them before but for some reason these just felt a bit icky to me, shame cause they tasted good :frown: they were way too fatty, that might just be it

Some fat is good and very high meat can sometimes seem less like a sausage, but low % meat gives them a lot of scope to include other stuff. If they tasted ok then I would move on.
moved this to Food and drink :hide:

Quick Reply

Latest