History essay...help? Watch

EstelleA
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I have a really weird ‘to what extent do you agree’ question and I’m not sure how to structurally write it out.
Do I do ‘agree to some extent’ and do a paragraph on agree and one on disagree? Do I write about historians? How many paragraphs am I looking at? If you have any links to good example answers/essays/ anything to help me please do send it, I’m really struggling out here and my teacher is not the person to go to.

Do I write a conclusion? Point, evidence, explain why I agree or something? Jeez, I’m so confused. I do History a level edexcel btw. This is my first essay on this course.

Soo26
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi,
What is the specific question?

ALSO THE STRUCTURE VARIOUS BETWEEN SCHOOLS AND TEACHERS SO SOME MAY DISAGREE WITH ME

In the introduction outline your criteria. An example of criteria is that of how many people were affected or if the impact was long-lasting or short term. And, also you may outline what you are going to talk about.
eg. (this is probably going to be ****)
During the period 1918-79, the extent to which there were dramatic improvements in the healthcare system is up to debate. It is the contention of this essay that the NHS is the most prominent one as it affected the most people and had a long term impact on the British people. However, the workhouse infirmaries between 1918 and 1939 were of poor quality and had short term impacts on the British population. Therefore, it argued here that the healthcare system had significantly improved after WWII.

Aim to write three paragraphs. In your first sentences outline the topic of your paragraph.
e.g It can be argued that there was a significant improvement in healthcare as a result of the development of NHS.
Then just add facts and analyze those facts to back it up. After adding a counter-argument and support that with facts and analyze it
e.g However, it can be argued that the NHS had limited impact because they introduced prescription charges.
Then have a mini conclusion (which effectively is your opinion) and link to question and CRITERIA
e.g It is more convincing to argue that the NHS had improved the healthcare system because it impacted millions of people due to it's free at the point of use.

Do the same with your pother paragraphs which can be on the National Insurance schemes that there were( specific to the question). But, if you argue that the NHS is important then in your mini conclusion for the next 1 or 2 paragraph you have to states this.
e.g That said, the National Insurance scheme did very little and only improved the health of those who had the scheme therefore its argued that the NHS was the most important significant factor improving the healthcare system.
In your conclusion, highlight over what you mention and state what you think is the most important is using your criteria

Hope this helps xx
EstelleA
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Soo26)
Hi,
What is the specific question?

ALSO THE STRUCTURE VARIOUS BETWEEN SCHOOLS AND TEACHERS SO SOME MAY DISAGREE WITH ME

In the introduction outline your criteria. An example of criteria is that of how many people were affected or if the impact was long-lasting or short term. And, also you may outline what you are going to talk about.
eg. (this is probably going to be ****)
During the period 1918-79, the extent to which there were dramatic improvements in the healthcare system is up to debate. It is the contention of this essay that the NHS is the most prominent one as it affected the most people and had a long term impact on the British people. However, the workhouse infirmaries between 1918 and 1939 were of poor quality and had short term impacts on the British population. Therefore, it argued here that the healthcare system had significantly improved after WWII.

Aim to write three paragraphs. In your first sentences outline the topic of your paragraph.
e.g It can be argued that there was a significant improvement in healthcare as a result of the development of NHS.
Then just add facts and analyze those facts to back it up. After adding a counter-argument and support that with facts and analyze it
e.g However, it can be argued that the NHS had limited impact because they introduced prescription charges.
Then have a mini conclusion (which effectively is your opinion) and link to question and CRITERIA
e.g It is more convincing to argue that the NHS had improved the healthcare system because it impacted millions of people due to it's free at the point of use.

Do the same with your pother paragraphs which can be on the National Insurance schemes that there were( specific to the question). But, if you argue that the NHS is important then in your mini conclusion for the next 1 or 2 paragraph you have to states this.
e.g That said, the National Insurance scheme did very little and only improved the health of those who had the scheme therefore its argued that the NHS was the most important significant factor improving the healthcare system.
In your conclusion, highlight over what you mention and state what you think is the most important is using your criteria

Hope this helps xx
This helps so much!! Thank you! Do your recommend any websites or books to help the history structures and essays? My current topic is In Search of the American Dream
holly6901
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
1 agree 1 disagree then the 3rd is what you believe e.g if you agree another agree and if you disagree another disagree then conclude and don't forget an intro
teeras8
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
For me i usually get full marks with it (sometimes less due to SPAG). However, I’m not sure if this is too much as I usually do a brief introduction, 4 paras ( usually two for and two against points). My teacher says to do more but thats not realistic. And then I finish with my conclusion which should always be certain on what I view I side with more and how strongly I agree with the point given at the start.
You need to have historical terminology and make sure your vocabulary is in an argumentative style to get your point across clearer.
I don’t think you need 4 for and against points but I write really quick and I just do that to remain safer
Last edited by teeras8; 1 week ago
teeras8
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Oh sorry I just realised this was for a level, idk if this will help im currently doing gsces sorry
EstelleA
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by teeras8)
Oh sorry I just realised this was for a level, idk if this will help im currently doing gsces sorry
No this helps, thank you!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Thu, 12 Dec '19
  • Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Musical Theatre Undergraduate
    Fri, 13 Dec '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19

Do you work while at uni?