The Student Room Group

Should I do physics a level

I don't know if I should do physics a level. I've heard its the second hardest a level with further maths being the hardest. I'm looking to do maths, computer science and another subject. I'm looking to do computer science at university. I've also heard the questions in physics a level are very confusing and very hard to answer and you need to be very precise. I'm looking to get atleast an A in everything so would an A be very hard to get in physics a level and would it even be worth all the hassle if I'm doing cs at uni and not physics. If I don't do physics I'll probably do geography or history because I enjoy it at gcse.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by IWillGetAllA*
I don't know if I should do physics a level. I've heard its the second hardest a level with further maths being the hardest. I'm looking to do maths, computer science and another subject. I'm looking to do computer science at university. I've also heard the questions in physics a level are very confusing and very hard to answer and you need to be very precise. I'm looking to get atleast an A in everything so would an A be very hard to get in physics a level and would it even be worth all the hassle if I'm doing cs at uni and not physics. If I don't do physics I'll probably do geography or history because I enjoy it at gcse.

I took Physics for half a term and from my experience, physics a-level is not the same as physics GCSE. It's a lot of maths, very precise and somewhat complicated maths. If you're really good at maths, go for it, but honestly, for me, it was slightly nightmarish. But I only took it for a half-term.
Original post by disappointed_
I took Physics for half a term and from my experience, physics a-level is not the same as physics GCSE. It's a lot of maths, very precise and somewhat complicated maths. If you're really good at maths, go for it, but honestly, for me, it was slightly nightmarish. But I only took it for a half-term.

Yea thats pretty much the reason why I'm so scared of taking it. Everyone around me says I'll regret doing it and that there's no point in doing it because imma do cs at uni and you only need maths for that. May I ask what subjects you are doing and why you only did physics for half a term is it because you dropped/swapped it? Thanks
Reply 3
physics is hell
Reply 4
a big step up from gcse
Even though physics isnt required, it helps with CS applications, especially at top unis
Unis would prefer someone with A*AA including phys instead of A*AA including socio when applying to CS

I got an A at physics AS, and Ill say, it takes time to get good at it, but its manageable.
Id recommend taking it! Its not as hard as everyone makes it out to be, as long as your good at math (Im talking 8/9 at GCSE)
Physics is actually fun and interesting in a level way better than at gcse level. I would recommend you to also take further maths as that would be very useful for computer science. It's more useful than computer science a level.
Original post by IWillGetAllA*
Yea thats pretty much the reason why I'm so scared of taking it. Everyone around me says I'll regret doing it and that there's no point in doing it because imma do cs at uni and you only need maths for that. May I ask what subjects you are doing and why you only did physics for half a term is it because you dropped/swapped it? Thanks

i am currently doing Maths, Biology and Chemistry I was doing Physics as a fourth because at GCSE i enjoyed it. But at A-level due to how much harder everything is I struggled to give it the time it needed so I'm now doing the normal three
Reply 8
Don't be put off by what everyone is saying here. Maths, physics and comp sci all go very nicely with each other; they're very preferable for comp sci applications later on. Yes, it's hard, but what A level isn't? If you're doing set on doing maths anyway then logically physics is the next best I would say (unless you do FM). Obviously some people find it very hard but some find it manageable. The only way to really know is to see how you get on with it and if you dislike it- drop it. Presumably you're in Year 11 now so you've got some time to decide. Have a read of some textbooks and see if anything takes your fancy. I personally love physics and it's my favourite subject right now (tied closely with maths) so of course I'm slightly biased but don't let that sway you.

Being more difficult only means it's more satisfying when you've put in the work and it's paid off!
Today I tried my best not to cry after seeing my mock result for physics . Its like no matter how hard i try i will always get 60% .AS is just GCSE and a bit more and A2 isn't too bad . The problem is applying and thinking HARD about questions . Also 40% is maths. If I had known this earlier I wouldn't have picked it. Also most physic classes are very small about 5 people in AS . they drop like flies in A2 . I am the only student doing A2 physics in my school . Everyday I think about how easier my life would've been if I had picked psychology instead of physics .

Quick Reply

Latest