richard10012
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Is this a good idea? Will it drive away investment to the U.K.?
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Would you care to be more specific
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by richard10012)
Why havent you bothered to explain what it is and how it works?
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'm all for a tax on social media.. tax it like smoking or alcohol, and put an age restriction on to match.

I would also support a tax on online retail to make sure that it can't undercut shops.

Both would harm growth and certainly not aid investment.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
No it wont. The UK has a healthy and mature market. If the tax companies refuse to pay their fair share, then they should leave. I doubt they would leave since they are making lots of money from British consumers.
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by fallen_acorns)
I'm all for a tax on social media.. tax it like smoking or alcohol, and put an age restriction on to match.

I would also support a tax on online retail to make sure that it can't undercut shops.

Both would harm growth and certainly not aid investment.
Not liking that second one.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Bio 7)
Not liking that second one.
Neither would most people at first. You'd end up paying a good bit more on all your online shopping.
Pathway
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by fallen_acorns)
Neither would most people at first. You'd end up paying a good bit more on all your online shopping.
Well, as a disabled person, I'd be pretty annoyed at this considering online shopping gives me some semblance of independence and normalcy.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Pathway)
Well, as a disabled person, I'd be pretty annoyed at this considering online shopping gives me some semblance of independence and normalcy.
It wouldn't be banned. You would still be able to buy what ever you want, just at the same price that people pay in the shops.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It’s actually an EU tax being developed that even the last government was going to sign up to so it’s not a new Labour idea. The fact that it will be across the EU also means that it is unlikely to deter investment since the level will be the same.

That said it is something that we should oppose. It is another example of beaurocratic double taxation and is punishing a sector of the economy for no good reason. The advent of online shopping may harm the physical high street in the short term but increased competition and lower costs are a great thing for the consumer as a whole.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (317)
46.21%
No (75)
10.93%
I'm not old enough (294)
42.86%

Watched Threads