What age are you really an adult?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hi guys, Iv been thinking lately. By law you are classed as an adult by 18 which nobody really is and nobody really looks at them as adults.

But what age do you think people are really adults and are seen as adults by society?

Personally I think it’s 25 but tell me what you guys think?
username4952620
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
DoritoEvie
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by IH8Studying)
I second this
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
But what age do you think people are really adults and are seen as adults by society?
Two different things.

When are people really adults? When they're fully fending for themselves.

(Original post by IH8Studying)
(Original post by DoritoEvie)
I second this
Not these days. 21 is still studenting. Can guarantee people will still refer to 21 year olds as kids.

Mid-20s at least, once you've moved out of parents' house.

When does society see you as an adult? When you're a parent, basically.
DoritoEvie
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Drewski)
Two different things.

Not these days. 21 is still studenting. Can guarantee people will still refer to 21 year olds as kids.

I finish studying at 21. I believe that once I'm in a working environment, also age 21, I count as an adult. A young adult, but regardless still an adult. An 'adult adult', I think from 24-25 onwards when you've settled into 'adult' life.
humanb33N
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
25, because that's the age the human brain is fully developed at
username4952620
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I finish studying at 21. I believe that once I'm in a working environment, also age 21, I count as an adult. A young adult, but regardless still an adult. An 'adult adult', I think from 24-25 onwards when you've settled into 'adult' life.
exactly.
Anonymous #1
Two different things.

Very strange example but when you do something nice for a random person and they say your a very nice man instead of lad. I am currently 21 and still get called a lad instead of a man.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I'm sure you think that, but with all respect, that's not what the question asked.

I don't think society at large agrees.
Anonymous #1
Thanks, I was thinking more like the adult adult
username4952620
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Two different things.

never heard a single person refer to a 21 year old as a kid... and they’re certainly not kids. that’s when most people graduate and by then you should be mature. unfortunately on TSR, we can see a lot of these 21+ adults are acting like babies. may god help us!
goggleyed
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
allegedly your brain fully develops at 25 so you're technically right. you have an adult brain after 25
Wirt
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
There’s no evidence to suggest that there is a cut-off point for brain development. I think “adultness” is going to be an ever-evolving concept.

Some people think adulthood begins at puberty (though I have an issue with that considering puberty can begin as young as 8 years old). Others believe it’s 25.
Others think it has nothing to do with age and everything to do with life experience. Perhaps it’s a complex mix.

I think that it would be better to have a some kind of transitionary period. We have child > teenager > adult, but a lot of teenagers are quite clearly children. We spend very little of our time as a teenager as an adult. I would say 18-20 is the “emerging” adult phase. I’m in my early twenties and only just feel like I’ve actually made it into adulthood.

It’s actually a very complicated concept the more I think about it. 18 is considered an adult by law, but we all know you don’t become an adult over-night on your 18th birthday (which is why I am so repulsed by older people waiting for 18th birthdays - it’s legal but I’m still going to steer clear of you).

I think there’s a very good reason why we use the phrase “young adult” and “middle-age” because we all feel there’s a very clear difference.
Em.-.
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I always heard 21. But biologically, you fully mature at around 25, then your body slowly starts to deteriorate until death. But in terms of society, I would say 21 as at that age it seems you can do anything legally (in the UK).
bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I'd say early-mid 20s. There's no way an 18 year old can realistically be an adult other than legally.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (146)
37.34%
Take autumn exams (122)
31.2%
Look for a job (14)
3.58%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.35%
Take a year out (67)
17.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (25)
6.39%

Watched Threads