little-Jboy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am a year 13 student planning to do mechanical engineering. im taking a gap year. can someone help me find a work place ???
Wired_1800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by little-Jboy)
I am a year 13 student planning to do mechanical engineering. im taking a gap year. can someone help me find a work place ???
You have to find opportunities online and apply for them. I assume that you would want a paid opportunity and this has to be applied for. You have to be prepared for disappointments though, many engineering companies don't seem to take pre-University students because you lack the knowledge to do proper work to warrant the wages.

If I was you, I would not take a gap year and go straight to uni next year. However, it is your decision.

Good luck.
little-Jboy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Wired_1800)
You have to find opportunities online and apply for them. I assume that you would want a paid opportunity and this has to be applied for. You have to be prepared for disappointments though, many engineering companies don't seem to take pre-University students because you lack the knowledge to do proper work to warrant the wages.

If I was you, I would not take a gap year and go straight to uni next year. However, it is your decision.

Good luck.
Thank you for the answer, my reason for taking a gap year is because my predicted grades are not good enough to apply for the universities that i want to go. I am applying for a year in industry from EDT. I am just wonder if you know any other places i can apply. Just to be safe.
Wired_1800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by little-Jboy)
Thank you for the answer, my reason for taking a gap year is because my predicted grades are not good enough to apply for the universities that i want to go. I am applying for a year in industry from EDT. I am just wonder if you know any other places i can apply. Just to be safe.
Ok, that is fair.

I am not sure, but you can look at company websites and online job boards like ratemyplacement and others. Also try to call their recruitment teams, if possible. Good luck.

If you can afford to live without needing money and you have a local uni close to you, you can also try to get some experience working in a lab or engineering research team. This can help with your PS and a reference when you apply later on.
kyoshimina
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
How do you find work experience in a lab or with an engineering research team? I'm also in my gap year (I need to resit my exams because my grades aren't good enough) and I'm hunting for engineering work experience but honestly just don't know where to apply
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (76)
17.97%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (122)
28.84%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (160)
37.83%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (52)
12.29%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (13)
3.07%

Watched Threads