Itwasn’tme
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi guys just want so advice/opinion on open university I’m thinking of doing a degree from there and was wondering what are people’s thoughts and employers opinion on it..Also do other unis give u places to do ur masters with ur open degree ?
Any advice would be much appreciated especially those who have studied with open
Last edited by Itwasn’tme; 3 weeks ago
thelocalkid
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Itwasn’tme)
Hi guys just want so advice/opinion on open university I’m thinking of doing a degree from there and was wondering what are people’s thoughts and employers opinion on it..Also do other unis give u places to do ur masters with ur open degree ?
Any advice would be much appreciated especially those who have studied with open
Wouldn't advise to do your degree Open University. They're better universities to go to but, if that's what you wanted good luck.

https://www.studentcrowd.com/univers...ty_the_-london

https://www.whatuni.com/university-c...iversity/4520/
Itwasn’tme
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
A

(Original post by thelocalkid)
Wouldn't advise to do your degree Open University. They're better universities to go to but, if that's what you wanted good luck.

Ah why’s that ? I’m just leaning towards it because it accommodates my situation but thank you and I’ll look into the links
Btw I’d do my masters in a normal university hopefully
thelocalkid
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
A

Ah why’s that ? I’m just leaning towards it because it accommodates my situation but thank you and I’ll look into the links
Btw I’d do my masters in a normal university hopefully
Ok.. But if you gonna pay big bucks to them, all i can say is, it is worth it somewhere else.
Anonymous #1
Report 2 weeks ago
The OU is great for the vast majority of people. If you lack A Levels, have a health condition or other reasons why attending a brick university would be difficult, then it is a great choice.

Especially if you plan to do a masters, an OU degree can be used for brick university entry requirements.

Personally I, and everyone I know who has studied with the OU, has had a 10/10 experience, although I know a lot of people have a lot to complain about. I found the tutors and student support amazing, the material brilliant and the networking oppotunities great.

It really depends on your personal situation, some people have no choice and the OU is the only place they are able to attend, which is why it is there to be honest.

Maybe give them a call to answer some more specific questions if you need some answered
Itwasn’tme
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
The OU is great for the vast majority of people. If you lack A Levels, have a health condition or other reasons why attending a brick university would be difficult, then it is a great choice.

Especially if you plan to do a masters, an OU degree can be used for brick university entry requirements.

Personally I, and everyone I know who has studied with the OU, has had a 10/10 experience, although I know a lot of people have a lot to complain about. I found the tutors and student support amazing, the material brilliant and the networking oppotunities great.

It really depends on your personal situation, some people have no choice and the OU is the only place they are able to attend, which is why it is there to be honest.

Maybe give them a call to answer some more specific questions if you need some answered
ah thank you for your reply its much appreciated.By the sounds of it you have studied in open whats ur experience like ? also if you dont mind me asking what did u study and how to employers take to the degree.
also id hope to be doing my masters from elsewhere
Anonymous #1
Report 2 weeks ago
ah thank you for your reply its much appreciated.By the sounds of it you have studied in open whats ur experience like ? also if you dont mind me asking what did u study and how to employers take to the degree.
also id hope to be doing my masters from elsewhere
I'll private message you!
goodvibes17
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

Seeing as you know so much about universities, I'd like to know where you gained this information? Is this merely your opinion or do you have evidence of something a little more concrete?

To answer your question, Itwasn'tme, I had a fabulous experience with the OU. 10/10. It's cheaper than other uni's, you will have more 'free time' because you don't have to travel anywhere for your studies which allows you to either spend more time reading about your subject or... maintain a job, which is what I did (circa 20 hours a week). It was tough during uni months but I made it.

I applied to about 6 uni's for my masters degree and got interviews to all but only went to UCL and Sussex. After offers from both I chose Sussex because I prefer the vibe there. League tables are not everything
Nerol
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hey!

I am OU alumni and I loved it! I didn't do my A Levels when I was younger and also traveled a lot for work, so it was perfect for me. I studied part-time alongside a full-time job as an ESL Teacher, and found the workload easy enough to manage. I graduated this year with a First Class degree in Psychology with Counselling, which is BPS accredited, and am now studying an MSc at Manchester Met with the plan of applying for a doctorate program afterwards. I had an interview for a Counselling Psychology doctorate program earlier this year with just my OU BSc, but didn't get a place due to not having enough research experience, which is why I am doing the MSc.

The OU is widely respected by other institutions and studying there will in no way limit your choices for postgraduate study if you put the work in. It requires a lot of self-motivation and good time management. I definitely recommend it if you feel distance learning and independent study would be good for you. I also recommend attending as many face-to-face tutorials in your area as you can as it offers a chance to meet other students on your course.

Hope this helps.

Loren
thelocalkid
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by goodvibes17)
Seeing as you know so much about universities, I'd like to know where you gained this information? Is this merely your opinion or do you have evidence of something a little more concrete?

To answer your question, Itwasn'tme, I had a fabulous experience with the OU. 10/10. It's cheaper than other uni's, you will have more 'free time' because you don't have to travel anywhere for your studies which allows you to either spend more time reading about your subject or... maintain a job, which is what I did (circa 20 hours a week). It was tough during uni months but I made it.

I applied to about 6 uni's for my masters degree and got interviews to all but only went to UCL and Sussex. After offers from both I chose Sussex because I prefer the vibe there. League tables are not everything
I agree. It works for some people but, not all. If you did your A levels and GCSE's and you have good grades. There better places to go. That's all i'm saying. OU is good but not good for everyone.
-Eirlys-
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
  • Just like any uni, it has good and bad. It's really up to you to research the uni, what they offer and such. As mentioned, though not always, it is geared towards people who have health problems, didn't do well in school or just decided to go to uni later (there are many young OU students too) but didn't want to give up work. If you think staying home and working would suit you better than going to a traditional uni and to their campus, then it might be for you. If you can self direct your own learning, that's a must.
  • A degree from the OU is the same as any other - it should be accepted by other universities if you want to do a masters. It would be rare and frankly discriminating to refuse a widely accepted degree purely because it's gained through distance learning.
  • Most credible employers will accept it. If an employer didn't like you purely because of where you studied, then they're not worth working for. Many employers often prefer OU graduates over traditional uni graduates because they often have work experience and they show great time management skills and can self-direct/be more independent. We recently had an online OU careers fair and there were about 50 well known, big employers there (such as the NHS) because they appreciate and support OU students!
  • It is your decision at the end of the day. If it's appealing to you, then there's something about it that you like and feel fits you.

There's nothing wrong with the OU? It is a university, taught by doctors, researchers and professors of their field, except it's taught at a distance so people can lead normal lives around it. That's the only difference.

Maybe it's just hard for some uni students to envisage doing their degree and working at the same time, so they think it's somehow an easier, therefore less credible degree. :rolleyes:
Ok.. But if you gonna pay big bucks to them, all i can say is, it is worth it somewhere else.
The OU is often cheaper than traditional universities.
Itwasn’tme
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Nerol)
Hey!

I am OU alumni and I loved it! I didn't do my A Levels when I was younger and also traveled a lot for work, so it was perfect for me. I studied part-time alongside a full-time job as an ESL Teacher, and found the workload easy enough to manage. I graduated this year with a First Class degree in Psychology with Counselling, which is BPS accredited, and am now studying an MSc at Manchester Met with the plan of applying for a doctorate program afterwards. I had an interview for a Counselling Psychology doctorate program earlier this year with just my OU BSc, but didn't get a place due to not having enough research experience, which is why I am doing the MSc.

The OU is widely respected by other institutions and studying there will in no way limit your choices for postgraduate study if you put the work in. It requires a lot of self-motivation and good time management. I definitely recommend it if you feel distance learning and independent study would be good for you. I also recommend attending as many face-to-face tutorials in your area as you can as it offers a chance to meet other students on your course.

Hope this helps.
Hello just wanted to start of by saying thank you for your reply it was much appreciated and congratulation on holding down a stressful job and studying for a degree
ah thank you i think i might actually do it after talking to so many people who have had very positive experiences and yes i would definitely attend as many face to face tutorials possible .
Itwasn’tme
Rep:
?
(Original post by goodvibes17)

thank you for your information much appreciated and congratulation on getting into sussex its a brilliant establishment..
if you dont mind me asking what degree did you do and was it accredited ?
many thanks
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Not sure about employability tbh, it definitely wont be as good as going to a prestigious uni, and if you want to work in consulting or finance I suspect it would be basically be a straight no (as would be any of the other super competitive programs such as working in a big energy corp). In general I think it would keep most grad schemes open, and if you pick a decent degree type I dont think it would be a big deal.

Yes you can get onto masters courses with a degree from Open uni, but dont expect to get onto an MPhil at Cambridge, the research & competitive courses will likely be a no, other than that I suspect you'll be fine.
Itwasn’tme
Rep:
?
(Original post by -Eirlys-)
  • Just like any uni, it has good and bad. It's really up to you to research the uni, what they offer and such. As mentioned, though not always, it is geared towards people who have health problems, didn't do well in school or just decided to go to uni later (there are many young OU students too) but didn't want to give up work. If you think staying home and working would suit you better than going to a traditional uni and to their campus, then it might be for you. If you can self direct your own learning, that's a must.
  • A degree from the OU is the same as any other - it should be accepted by other universities if you want to do a masters. It would be rare and frankly discriminating to refuse a widely accepted degree purely because it's gained through distance learning.
  • Most credible employers will accept it. If an employer didn't like you purely because of where you studied, then they're not worth working for. Many employers often prefer OU graduates over traditional uni graduates because they often have work experience and they show great time management skills and can self-direct/be more independent. We recently had an online OU careers fair and there were about 50 well known, big employers there (such as the NHS) because they appreciate and support OU students!
  • It is your decision at the end of the day. If it's appealing to you, then there's something about it that you like and feel fits you.

There's nothing wrong with the OU? It is a university, taught by doctors, researchers and professors of their field, except it's taught at a distance so people can lead normal lives around it. That's the only difference.

Maybe it's just hard for some uni students to envisage doing their degree and working at the same time, so they think it's somehow an easier, therefore less credible degree. :rolleyes:

The OU is often cheaper than traditional universities.
AH that is brilliant one of my biggest worries was that employers or big company's may not accept it so thank you for putting my mind at
rest.
one thing most science degrees by ou are not accredited would that be a problem when applying for jobs or do masters at another uni ?
-Eirlys-
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
AH that is brilliant one of my biggest worries was that employers or big company's may not accept it so thank you for putting my mind at
rest.
one thing most science degrees by ou are not accredited would that be a problem when applying for jobs or do masters at another uni ?
Where does it say that? I've never heard that. My BSc is accredited. I'd assume other sciences like engineering/physics/biology etc are accredited.
Itwasn’tme
Rep:
?
(Original post by -Eirlys-)
(Original post by -Eirlys-)Where does it say that? I've never heard that. My BSc is accredited. I'd assume other sciences like engineering/physics/biology etc are accredited.
Ah I’ve looked it up on the website and it doesn’t say anything the degree I’m looking to do is between a couple
Natural science
Natural science (biology)
Healthcare
Healthcare and science
SuperCat007
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Ah I’ve looked it up on the website and it doesn’t say anything the degree I’m looking to do is between a couple
Natural science
Healthcare
Healthcare and science
Natural sciences aren't accredited anywhere.

Accreditation can matter for some maths/physics degrees but when looking with my partner at MSc's for him, they don't specifically ask for an accredited degree (that would be daft, they're out to make money after all).

Biology doesn't really have an accreditation system, there is the Royal Society of Biology, but it is more of a community than anything else. The exception would be the Institute of Biomedical Sciences (IMBS) if you want to work in a hospital or some diagnostics labs. But you can override your BSc's lack of accreditation by either training on the job (in one that will allow) or doing an accredited MSc/PhD.

Healthcare and Healthcare and Science may be different - I guess it would depend what you wanted to do after. IMBS accreditation as mentioned above would be an issue if you wanted work in a hospital lab. But it wouldn't prevent you getting an entry level job and studying to get your accreditation. To work in other hospital/healthcare roles, I don't know.

I know BPS accreditation does matter for psychology so if you're looking at that it is important.
-Eirlys-
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Natural science
Healthcare
Healthcare and science
Unless you're wanting to do a masters, accreditation isn't all that important. Who are these degrees accredited by though? You could contact the accreditors and ask if the OU degree is accepted.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (414)
43.86%
No (98)
10.38%
I'm not old enough (432)
45.76%

Watched Threads