What I have found a bit disappointing about my local MPs Watch

SuperHuman98
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Now I don’t live in The safest of constituents. My constituency isn’t as safe compared to others. My home town constituency is in the top 30 most marginal. And it’s been the same party winning for 2 decades.

What I find disappointing is the fact that I don’t see much campaigning ever.

I voted in the 2017 election. Didn’t see any campaigning except the current MP at that times campaigners knocking on my door and asking if I voted during Election Day.

Nothing from the candidates of the other parties. So that makes me feel like they don’t care or don’t care about my age/area. Pretty sure I don’t get anything in the post.

Btw because I’m at uni now I’m just reflecting on the last election, but even in my uni constituency we haven’t even gotten anything through the post.

Does anyone else feel the same way? And like I said my constituency according to Wikipedia isn’t that safe but it’s been the same party for just over 20years.
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by SuperHuman98)
Now I don’t live in The safest of constituents. My constituency isn’t as safe compared to others. My home town constituency is in the top 30 most marginal. And it’s been the same party winning for 2 decades.

What I find disappointing is the fact that I don’t see much campaigning ever.

I voted in the 2017 election. Didn’t see any campaigning except the current MP at that times campaigners knocking on my door and asking if I voted during Election Day.

Nothing from the candidates of the other parties. So that makes me feel like they don’t care or don’t care about my age/area. Pretty sure I don’t get anything in the post.

Btw because I’m at uni now I’m just reflecting on the last election, but even in my uni constituency we haven’t even gotten anything through the post.

Does anyone else feel the same way? And like I said my constituency according to Wikipedia isn’t that safe but it’s been the same party for just over 20years.
We are a country of apathy - most people cannot name their MP - I can't. No body cares. We just want the tories to win and get Brexit back on plan
NotNotBatman
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Campaigning takes time and money. It's not worth spending huge amounts of money in certain areas. For example in my constituency the local MP has been in that position for almost 4 decades. The other parties have no chance. Although I saw a tory leaflet for the first time being posted through the door which is funny.

In uni I see a lot more campaigning, since the votes have been close over the years so it makes more sense there.

I think you'd see less campaigning is safe seats, that's all.
SuperHuman98
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by NotNotBatman)
Campaigning takes time and money. It's not worth spending huge amounts of money in certain areas. For example in my constituency the local MP has been in that position for almost 4 decades. The other parties have no chance. Although I saw a tory leaflet for the first time being posted through the door which is funny.

In uni I see a lot more campaigning, since the votes have been close over the years so it makes more sense there.

I think you'd see less campaigning is safe seats, that's all.
my home constituency is still in the top 20 most marginal labour seats and it’s been the same party 20 years.
Last edited by SuperHuman98; 2 weeks ago
RazzzBerries
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by squeakysquirrel)
We are a country of apathy - most people cannot name their MP - I can't. No body cares. We just want the tories to win and get Brexit back on plan
*Get Brexit Done™™™
Catherine1973
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I’m seeing a lot of campaigning from the liberals in my seat, it’s clearly a target.
What is stranger is one of my law tutors is standing as the liberal candidate! Luckily he had not door knocked me.
Neilos
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
My constituency is safe Conservative territory these days, but the local party does actually make an effort... newsletters, leaflets every now and then, little reminders that they're doing stuff. But even they have never knocked on my door, called me, or anything like that.

No one else bothers, at least not in my area. You might see a person with a rosette hanging around a polling station, or one of those awful signs in a garden, but the first I know of the candidates for Labour, Lib Dems etc is when I see their names on the polling paper. I assume the people in charge of the campaign funds feel it's not really worth them spending anything on this part of the world.
username5049966
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by squeakysquirrel)
The tories have been in power for nearly 4 years. I see no reason why the tories winning another election will get Brexit back on track tbh. If it was going to happen it would have already happened.
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by RJ7781)
The tories have been in power for nearly 4 years. I see no reason why the tories winning another election will get Brexit back on track tbh. If it was going to happen it would have already happened.
If Labour gets into power we will be back to square one
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (310)
46.27%
No (75)
11.19%
I'm not old enough (285)
42.54%

Watched Threads