The Student Room Group

Does spending lots of time together = a serious relationship?

If you’re in a relationship and see each other every day (same university) and spend a lot of free time together chilling in your rooms or in your friendship group, as well as sleeping together often, does this mean the relationship is very serious?

Scroll to see replies

No
Reply 2
Bump
No, I would say
In my opinion what makes a relationship serious is discussions about the future
Tbh I’m not rly sure but that’s my take on it
Coz u can spend a bunch of time with someone and still have it basically just being a bit of fun
It depends. It certainly means that you feel comfortable around each other.
no

commitment to the future makes a serious relationship imo, that doesn't have to mean discussing your future children's names every day, but bring there during the rough times, making big decisions together and being committed to staying together long term
If it goes on for a long time - yes.
Reply 7
Original post by sinfonietta
If it goes on for a long time - yes.

What would you consider a long time?
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
If you’re in a relationship and see each other every day (same university) and spend a lot of free time together chilling in your rooms or in your friendship group, as well as sleeping together often, does this mean the relationship is very serious?

Are you the same person who keeps asking about relationships at uni via anon? There have been half a dozen in the past week at least.

In which case... Who cares? It's your relationship. Why care what other people think or make of what you're doing. If you're happy, great. If not, talk to your partner, not a bunch of internet randoms who don't know either of you.
It's serious enough, but not as serious as if you were living together as man and wife and had children together.

Carry on enjoying your time together. If you ever get to the stage where you think you'd be better off single or with someone else; leave.

Or, if you ever get to the stage where you want to have children together, go ahead.

Yes it really does as you become part of each other and part of each others routine and life.
Original post by Drewski
Are you the same person who keeps asking about relationships at uni via anon? There have been half a dozen in the past week at least.

In which case... Who cares? It's your relationship. Why care what other people think or make of what you're doing. If you're happy, great. If not, talk to your partner, not a bunch of internet randoms who don't know either of you.

I wasn't sure when I read this at first but this is the girl that is seeking therapy on her boyfriends past 2-3 year uni relationship that's made hundreds of posts to try and get inside peoples minds about how serious his relationship was with his ex, whom she cannot get over.
Yes it really does as you become part of each other and part of each others routine and life.

What if both people are immature?

University life relationships are young adults so bound to be immature as opposed to adults. In this case, a uni couple who were together for 2/3 years it was a significant relationship at the time. If you're the girl who's booked therapy because of your exes serious relationship at uni, just think: people who were madly in love and got married, had children etc still get divorced and leave each other. Was it real and serious? Yes. But it didn't last and today it isn't anything but a memory. You need to rest from thinking about it.
It's difficult to say. Sure you are spending lots of time together but you need to have 'the talk' to fully understand whether you are relationship. It is also worth noting that you will have to know whether you are in an 'exclusive relationship'. Which is also different.
What would you consider a long time?

It's hard to quantify it, but I'd say anything over 4 months-ish. A lot of less serious / short-term relationships fizzle out by then in my experience.

What's your angle on this?
Bump
Original post by Drewski
What's your angle on this?

Bump

So you're not going to answer the question?
I would say it depends if you both see a long term future together :smile:

People could spend lots of time with someone else, even sleep with them, and it could still be a casual thing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending