Katya__
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Anyone else really struggling with A Level Spanish (AQA)?? It may just be my teachers but all of a sudden I have a massive amount of work piled on top of me and I am stressed to the max 😂 I also cannot translate because the markscheme is so picky and I cannot even begin to think about the IRP. Anyone have any advice?
meminisse19
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
What year are you in, 12 or 13? IRP is fine as long as you pick a topic you actually care about and are willing to set aside some time every week for. Yes the picky markschemes got on my nerves a bit too but there’s essentially only a select few idiomatic phrases and structures that they always reuse to see who knows them and who doesn’t, eg cada vez más = more and more. All it is is experience, the vocab will come over time, as long as you master tenses and those certain phrases that always crop up you will find yourself doing better. Also remember that when you translate into English, you get credit for rendering it nicely, ie shuffling the word order around a bit and taking small liberties to make it sound like natural flowing English. If you look at what you’ve put and it doesn’t sound like normal English, chances are you’ll lose marks. Common sense goes a long way
Katya__
Rep:
?
(Original post by meminisse19)
What year are you in, 12 or 13? IRP is fine as long as you pick a topic you actually care about and are willing to set aside some time every week for. Yes the picky markschemes got on my nerves a bit too but there’s essentially only a select few idiomatic phrases and structures that they always reuse to see who knows them and who doesn’t, eg cada vez más = more and more. All it is is experience, the vocab will come over time, as long as you master tenses and those certain phrases that always crop up you will find yourself doing better. Also remember that when you translate into English, you get credit for rendering it nicely, ie shuffling the word order around a bit and taking small liberties to make it sound like natural flowing English. If you look at what you’ve put and it doesn’t sound like normal English, chances are you’ll lose marks. Common sense goes a long way
Hey thanks for the reply, I am in year 13 btw. Those tips are really helpful, hopefully I pick it up eventually. I am not brilliant at English so I’m better at translating to Spanish to be honest 😂 I am doing El Chapo for my IRP, what are you doing / or did yours on?
meminisse19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Katya__)
Hey thanks for the reply, I am in year 13 btw. Those tips are really helpful, hopefully I pick it up eventually. I am not brilliant at English so I’m better at translating to Spanish to be honest 😂 I am doing El Chapo for my IRP, what are you doing / or did yours on?
No worries. I did mine on Peru’s president in the 1990s. I did my a levels this June, I did french as well as Spanish and got a* in both. What do you mean you’re not brilliant at English? Are you from another country?
Katya__
Rep:
?
(Original post by meminisse19)
No worries. I did mine on Peru’s president in the 1990s. I did my a levels this June, I did french as well as Spanish and got a* in both. What do you mean you’re not brilliant at English? Are you from another country?
I am English, I just am not very good at wording things, so when I do a translation it makes sense to me but not to anyone else!
emarlow67
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
hi looking to do spanish at alevel but i have to get A or above to even be considered at uni, is Spanish the way to go?
meminisse19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by emarlow67)
hi looking to do spanish at alevel but i have to get A or above to even be considered at uni, is Spanish the way to go?
It’s a step up from gcse but it really isn’t impossible as long as you’re willing to practice and spend time immersing yourself in the culture eg by watching tv series or listening to music in the language. I found those to be the best ways to improve
Katya__
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by emarlow67)
Hey, I know I have been going on about how hard it is 😂 but if it is a subject that you enjoy I would say to go for it. It is obviously a challenge, as with any other A Level, but my grades aren’t too bad at the moment so if you do spend time on it, it is worth it. As for the content it is so much better than GCSE, you actually learn about Spanish culture and other Latin American countries on topics such as immigration, politics, history and lgbt rights. I would warn you though that there will be a lot of essays and literature involved, as you have to study a book and a film (AQA anyway), so bear that in mind as that is something that I wasn’t informed of when I began in year 12! Best of luck with your GCSEs!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Exeter campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (353)
60.14%
Yes- I don't like it (31)
5.28%