Dating Someone Who Has Genital Herpes? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I have hung out with this guy a couple times now and i have been open to getting to know him. Last time we hung out, he told me he has genital herpes and that it is up to me if i still want to pursue something with him. He was very understanding with the fact that I need time to research and think about it. I could continue getting to know him, and the physical part of our relationship could be taken slow until I decide if I see him as someone I want to be in a long term relationship with. But I fear that will make me get too emotionally attached, and then I may realize I am not okay with risking getting genital herpes as well. Because if I do take the risk, and I end up with genital herpes but our relationship ends, I will then have to have that conversation with every single romantic interest. I can't decide if I'm being shallow for not taking the chance to at least get to know him more, or if it's okay for me to not be comfortable with taking the risk. I'm only 19 and I don't think its an appropriate age to make the decision on possibly contracting a disease that I'd have for my whole life, even if it is pretty harmless. I just want opinions on what everyone else would do, so i can make a well-thought out decision.
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
No man is worth that and you have your whole life ahead of you. Ditch him before you get more emotionally involved with him
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
No man is worth that and you have your whole life ahead of you. Ditch him before you get more emotionally involved with him
As someone with herpes, this is really horrible to read
Anonymous #3
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
As someone with herpes, this is really horrible to read
Agreed. I can’t remember the exact percentages but the reason herpes is becoming more prevalent is because people who are SYMPTOMLESS spread it, usually unknowingly I’d of thought.

Comments like

(Original post by Oxford Mum)
simple make people with symptomatic herpes feel like rubbish and cause the continued stigma around it.

as for the OP, get to know him; he’s been really open with you, doesn’t sound like he’d pressure you into a physical relationship.
then if you don’t want to **** him, don’t.
if you do, make sure it’s when he’s symptomless, and use a condom. Maybe he can take prophylactic antivirals too... Duno.
mgi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I have hung out with this guy a couple times now and i have been open to getting to know him. Last time we hung out, he told me he has genital herpes and that it is up to me if i still want to pursue something with him. He was very understanding with the fact that I need time to research and think about it. I could continue getting to know him, and the physical part of our relationship could be taken slow until I decide if I see him as someone I want to be in a long term relationship with. But I fear that will make me get too emotionally attached, and then I may realize I am not okay with risking getting genital herpes as well. Because if I do take the risk, and I end up with genital herpes but our relationship ends, I will then have to have that conversation with every single romantic interest. I can't decide if I'm being shallow for not taking the chance to at least get to know him more, or if it's okay for me to not be comfortable with taking the risk. I'm only 19 and I don't think its an appropriate age to make the decision on possibly contracting a disease that I'd have for my whole life, even if it is pretty harmless. I just want opinions on what everyone else would do, so i can make a well-thought out decision.
You definitely would be well advised, in any event, to do some detailed research on genital herpes! And no, you dont want to be carrying herpes for life so this guy probably should stay in the friend zone unless you and he are prepared, after to getting to know each other , for taking the extensive precautions needed!
You are not being shallow-just wise!
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by mgi)
You definitely would be well advised, in any event, to do some detailed research on genital herpes! And no, you dont want to be carrying herpes for life so this guy probably should stay in the friend zone unless you and he are prepared, after to getting to know each other , for taking the extensive precautions needed!
You are not being shallow-just wise!
Funny how you were telling someone with herpes in another thread a while ago how it wasn't a big...
mgi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Funny how you were telling someone with herpes in another thread a while ago how it wasn't a big...
Yes. And clearly you have failed to read either thread clearly and properly. Clearly,in my post, you didn't see the words such as " do some detailed research" " extensive precautions needed " Think before you moan!
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by mgi)
Yes. And clearly you have failed to read either thread clearly and properly. Clearly,in my post, you didn't see the words such as " do some detailed research" " extensive precautions needed " Think before you moan!
"And no, you dont want to be carrying herpes for life so this guy probably should stay in the friend zone"
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you voted in today's general election?

Yes (13)
44.83%
No (9)
31.03%
I'm not old enough (7)
24.14%

Watched Threads